clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch issue

I have a clutch problem that I have to solve maybe some of you XSives have had this problem......let me start. The bike was sitting out in the weather for at least 3 yrs and in my shed covered for 3 more yrs. I'm thinking this is part of the problem.
    When I engage the clutch lever fully and shift to 1st gear the bike wants to creep ahead, this after doing all the clutch setup as per usual by the book, also its near impossible while the engine is running to shift back to neutral that is to say, hard to find neutral.
    My thoughts are that the plates are so dry they cant slip well at all....right now I have the clutch cover off, the springs and star cover out (springs within spec) next I want to remove the 27 mm nut and clean and oil the plates.....I have to get some pointers on this as I'm riding hopefully to Mexico, New York next Wed.....Oh I also have checked the shift mechanism and aligned the the gears...if you can offer some thoughts on this fire away....the bike is a 79 special with 75000 kms on it the engine runs flawlessly well tuned and ready to run.....
    Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

plates

Bruce the trouble with your clutch is most likely warped plates , check the metal plates ,lay them on a flat surface such as a piece of glass if they are warped then the clutch cant release fully just change out the warped ones
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Hey Bruce,

Another thought.....the cable may be old, corroded, and stretching, so that even though you have it set right at the engine cover, when you pull on it, it is not pulling completely, and so it allows the plates to drag!? Did you pull the cable, and lube it to make sure it wasn't dragging inside the sleeve??

It's a wet clutch system, so IF the plates are slipping enough to allow you to put it in gear and not have the bike lurch and take off, then the plates are getting oil around and between them and the steels, so doubt the dry problem. Hope the plates are not warped?

Inspect the throw out lever in the clutch cover, make sure that the 3 ball bearings are there, and be sure NOT to rotate the lever while putting the cover back on, or those bearings can dislodge, and the lever will be crooked/slanted, and won't work right for sure then!

You say you adjusted the lever per the book, turned center phillips head rod in till contact, then back out 1/4 turn, and then lock nut tightened?? Good Luck!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: clutch issue

Yup, these bikes will do that if the sit for a long time. Get it in gear with the brakes on and hold the clutch handle in so that it spins the plates in the oil. Feather your clutch to the friction point and work it in.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I would check the cable closely and in any case if a long trip is planed put on a new one or at least carry a spare.I don't see the clutch plates warping because the they were in a stack under spring pressure. Cooking the clutch is what usually leads to plate warp-age.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Thanx

Thanx Guys, I'm at work and will get back to you, thanx for your input and one thing I know is that the cable is free n clear and the bearings inside the cover are all in place, had the cover off twice so far, will get her figured out yet with all your help!!
            Bruce
            Got 3 12hour day shifts yet and 1 night shift to go then I'm off
            Bruce Doucette
            Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

clutch stack

Though I dont have my clutch out as yet I noticed that I can move the set of plates and friction plates back and forth (length ways) and in total there is a space of about 3MMs almost enough for 1 more disc.....? is it normal to have that much play in the disc stack?
              Bruce
              Bruce Doucette
              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Have noticed a little "play" in the stack.
                Extra steel plate mod in tech tips I've done to my 80G and works just fine.

Seems that it's not unusual for the clutch springs to get weak.
                If frictions and steel in spec,,, and all’s adjusted properly...and still slipping, then new springs and extra steel plate mod should do the trick...

mro

Comment

Hey Bruce,

Earlier you said that you have removed the star plate and springs, so YES, there isn't anything pulling the pressure plates together, so they will be very sloppy in the basket until you put the star and springs back in!

Hey MRO, his problem was that they were "sticking/dragging", and was hard to get into and out of gear/neutral!
                  I'll try to find his Original thread and merge this one with it!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

"sticking/dragging",

Have had 8 different XS clutches out for inspection etc..
                    While I've heard about warped plates have yet to find one on one of the bikes I've worked on. Couple have been abused and sorta burnt the steels, but cleaned up and worked fine. One actually had a crack thru the basket and made a very distressing noise during release.

Good chance his just needs a little ride'n with proper adjustment.
                    Look forward to see what develops.

mro
                    probably help if I were to read whole thread too
                    Last edited by mro; 05-20-2007, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X