Paint: urethane over acrylic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: urethane over acrylic

Yes, you heard me right. I have an acrylic system for the primer and base coats from www.paintforcars.com . I talked to a knowledgeable person there and they just started selling a urethane clear coat system that they (and the paint manufacturer) claim can be applied over any paint system.

I purchased it because I had the best protection on my last paint job using House of Kolor urethane clear, and I've seen some acrylic jobs wilt at the presence of gasoline. I plan to spray a test peice with my acrylic and then apply some clear urethane over it to see what happens.

Would you guys attempt this or would you send back the urethane clear in exchange for the acrylic clear?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

If the manufacturer says it will work , the urethane is very tough.
    Of roaders go through braches , prickers unscathed ...
    Aircraft have used urethane for years ...very durable ..

I used a clear you can wet sand , then buff . Ditzler .
    Been awhile , but it might work if you do a wetsandable clear , then go to a tuff clear after ..
    I'm thinking aloud and would have to reasearch ...

Bob
    1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
    1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as far as toughness.

The paint company is marketing urethane base coats now as well. I probably would have used straight urethane for base and clear had they had those products originally.

I've found, as they say, that "prep work makes all the difference." Nice when you put a lot of work into painting and it comes out as you expect. Stinks when you dump all your time into it and discover a dent you didn't see earlier...

Ben

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

A lot of the guys will not touch anything but catylised(sp)
        primer , spot puttys etc ...
        There is a place caled southern urethanes thats is new and very good ...They have color and clears ...

Seeing the dent after its painted is sooo much easier than before the paint goes on ,,,
        You can shade a mask coat of primer over your base primer , which helps alot .
        I'm getting back into painting after about 15 years . so a lot is newer and better ...a hobbyist ...

Cant wait to practice !! Bought a gfg 670 Devillbiss compliant gun ,
        and the really nice drier set up . Nothing worse than water in the paint . Or any contaminant ...

Best way to learn is do it after the right research is done !!

Bob
        Pictures required when your done !!
        1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
        1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

It has worked so far (urethane clear over acrylic base). I tested the clear over acrylic on some test peices before spraying the clear on my side panels and tank.

Some things I learned this time:
          • Make sure your safety goggles don't fall off your face onto your work (narrow miss)
          • If you paint indoors, make sure your lighting is exceptional. Otherwise, you can't see the paint or clear coat flow onto the item, which can lead to runs or dull gloss
          • Make SURE the area is well-ventilated, especially with Urethane
          • Have an appropriate area set aside for drying before you start painting
          • 99% of success is in the prep-work

Will update sometime next week or so.

Ben

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I hope it works for you Ben. I have never had much luck with laquer based paints under urethanes. I guess that is what you mean by "acrylic." It can sometimes make a huge mess.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The artifacts on the paint are dust or fingerprints. These pictures are prior to washing or waxing. The paper towell is just to protect the paint.

Remember, this is urethane clear over acrylic, which worked for me.

Ben

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

uro

the urethane coating will just make a thougher clearcoat than an acrylic....question to be asked is what is the carrier solvent in the urethane that you used. You may have been lucky and got a formula that didn't attack the acrylic before it dried from the urethane topcoat.....I am betting there were no hexanes involved....
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Yeah, that was the question I had as well. I specifically verified with the paint people that this would work with Acrylic. The manufacturer's claim is that this clear will work over any existing paint system. We'll see.

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                  X