X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator cover is Hot !!??

Hi

I have just spent a year rebuilding my bike ,,it is 79 3h3 SF engine
    2h9 alternator and cover (uk 1978 E model)

Anyway after starting it up for the first few times (just in the shed ,,not been up the road yet) I found the Alternator cover quite Hot to touch ,,hotter than the crank case it is bolted to

The Stator did have some corrosion on it i am afraid,, eeek !!

Anyway can anybody tell me if i am looking at trouble ??

do they normally get very hot (i presume NOT!!)

and what should i look at

any help on this i would be very gratefull of as it is booked on the Ferry in June for the European French XS1100 Rally ,,and time is not on my side

Cheers

Gaffer
    Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

If it were caused by friction, (rotor rubbing) would think you would hear it.

If caused by a short in the field, would think it would not be generating (charging) properly, so....

Have you checked the voltage out put?

mro

Comment

Hi mro ,,should have done those things before askin the question really i guess ,,just had so many issues with it ,,didn't have the energy to look further into this just yet ,,,so thought get the advice first and look later ,,if you know what i mean

Thanks anyway will go check it soooooon

Gareth

Comment

mro has a good point there Gaffer

Try a meter across the battery and rev the motor to see if you get up to 13.5-14V
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Hi Tom

Will do ,,hmmmmmmm Saddo just said Andy P had the same sort of thing ,,his was shorting on the cover (which you told me to check ,,,,,,,,,,i know ,,,,,,,,but you know what a rollercoaster i been on ,,)The thought of removing the newly fitted crash bar just don't enthuse me much ,,,today at least anyway ,,,,,,,,ha ha !!
          Everytime it looks nearly built and complete ,,,i got to strip it all down again ,,,grrrrrrrrr!! (goes with the territory i know ) ha ha !!

Gaffer
          Last edited by gaffer77; 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X