help - two conundrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - two conundrums

#1 - My starter button popped off. I found it on the garage floor and taped it in place, but it looks kind of tacky. How does the button stay on? Do I need a new button / spring assembly?

#2 - I have a slight leak (drip - drip - drip) in my right petcock, but no gas on floor. Where is it going? If the floats and seats are working, the bowls won't overflow...right? But I'm assuming that the petcock is still dripping. I will work on stopping the leak, but in the meantime, is it a problem?

Thanks, javascript:smilie('')
    big grin

Keith
    1980 XS1100SG

“You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.”

Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

The starter button is held into the swich from the inside by means of the flange around the base of the button. They can be bought and replaced. Mike's xs has them for about $6.
    The petcock can be rebuilt also. The drips will eventually fill the fuel line and bowls, but the float needle should keep it in check, unless it is worn, then if the bike sits long enough, gas can get into the cylinders and the air box, and that will leave a puddle under the bike.

Comment

thanks John,

I just ordered the starter button.

I'll see if I can stop the leak...I put a rebuild kit in last summer (new rubber, etc) but maybe I should bend the metal ring slightly.
      1980 XS1100SG

“You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.”

Comment

Unless your bike leaks with the petcock in the OFF position, there is no reason to believe that leaking thorough the carbs is a petcock problem. With the "SG" special, leakage will be controlled with the octpuss's vacuum control valve, along with good fuel valves inside the carbs.

Originally posted by kjoslin
        thanks John,

I just ordered the starter button.

I'll see if I can stop the leak...I put a rebuild kit in last summer (new rubber, etc) but maybe I should bend the metal ring slightly.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You'll know if there's a stuck float valve, the bike'll only be running 3 cylinders, running like a dog, the petrol fair sloshes into the cylinder, drowning the sparkplug and only firing sometimes, also smoke belching from the exhaust

Comment

gas leak

skids- the right petcock drips while in the off position. I got rid of the octopus last winter.

pggg- the bike runs great, on all 4 cylinders and lots of power. The bike has sat for a week at a time with no gas on floor. I didn't know there was a leak until this weekend when I pulled the petcocks to put new filters on. At that time, I checked for leaks and noticed the drip on the right side. I'm was wondering where the gas is going. I don't smell gas in the oil...but haven't changed it yet since winterizing in Nov.
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Re: gas leak

Originally posted by kjoslin
              At that time, I checked for leaks and noticed the drip on the right side. I'm was wondering where the gas is going.
              Keith,

The gas isn't necessarily going anywhere, XCept in the fuel lines to the carbs, but is being stopped (thankfully) by the float needle valves. But, yes, bending the wavy washer a bit more may help. Also, polishing the surface of the valve can help it make a better seal, possibly also flipping the rubber 4 way valve.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X