Help adjusting valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help adjusting valves

If anyone could help me with this I sure would appreciate it. I'm adjusting the valves on my 80sg for the first time and can't tell exactly which position of the cam lobe should be to check the clearance. The manual says when the lobe is opposite the lifter or pad. The valves are slanted so I have a problem judging. Some threads I read said "straight up". My 82 Honda 650 had a map of which valves to adjust and you would start with no. 1 at tdc. It seems none of that applies to the xs11. Am I making something harder than it actually is? I do that every chance I get. Thanks for the help.
    Sam
    Sam

I am sure that if the long direction of the cam lobe is roughly perpendicular to the shims, that is close enough.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

81xs is correct.
      Some threads I read said "straight up".
      By straight up, what is meant is with the lobe pointing directly away from the shim(which isn't really gonna be straight up, but will face 'straight' away from the shim.
      different bikes have different proceedures.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

adjusting valves

Thanks for the reply. I was in the other room and I thought I would here my email signal but missed it. So there is no particular order to check the clearance on the valves, just turn it over till the cam lobe is straight up or perpendicular to the lifter of the one that you are checking? Thanks for the help. Once I get the clearances I think I can manage the adjusting part.
        Sam

Comment

That's right, Sam, don't worry about a particular order for checking the valves. Just be careful to keep the cam from turning back against the shim tool when you've got it bolte din place. This will prevent breaking out a part of the head.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

adjusting valves

Thanks Ken for the help. I saw the illustration on turning the intake cams clockwise to avoid the tool and the exhaust counterclockwise. Does it help to have the spark plugs out or do you leave them in so no debris fall into the spark plug holes? I didn't see a mention of the cam chain during the adjusting. Would it be a good idea to tension the cam chain before adjusting the valves? Thanks for all the good advice.
            Sam
            Sam

Comment

The motor will be easier to spin with the plugs out, but as you noted, you need to make sure nothing falls in the holes.

Unless the camchain slack adjuster has been loosened off, don't bother messing with it until you've finoshed doing the shims. Keep it the way it was, do the shims, then adjust the tension.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

valves

Thanks Ken, everyones been a big help. Everything should be smooth from here on. It pays to be optimistic, sometimes things go like they should.
                Sam

Comment

while you are in there don't forget to check the head bolts. I leave the plugs in because you can still turn the motor with a big enough wrench.
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Sizz,
                    This might be a stupid unput, but.....

You use the word "adjust". You know that there is no adjustment, right?
                    Instead, you are changing shims with those of a different thickness to accomplish the valve clearance that you are looking for.
                    Actually not a hard proposition, but somewht time consuming, especially if you do not have a bunch of extra shims to swap with.
                    Sometimes you have to make a list of what you will need and what you will have left over when you are done and go swap with someone.
                    If you need to purchase new ones, there is another manufacturer (Kawasaki??) that is the exact same size and less expensive.

I have donated all of my extra shims to a guy on another list who has started a "shim pool". I think that he is up to about 80 shims of various sizes.

If you find that you are in need of a specific size I can see if I can get it for you.

Good luck, be patient
                    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

A lot of stuff uses these shims. I think we use the word "adjust" because thats what it says in the manual. I prefer to say that I am "shimming the valves"
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

everyone uses the 29mm shims. just don't try to fit a Suzuki 29.5mm shim in by mistake.
                        If you swap shims with a shop, measure the diameters to make sure the swapped one isn't mistakenly a 29.5mm. It happens.
                        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

valves

Thanks Hobbyman for the input. I am used to "adjusting" the valves on my 82 honda 650 nighthawk. I know this is a whole new ball game. I guess I could say that I was "adjusting" the clearance by shimming it. Thanks for the offer on the shims. The Yamaha dealer wants something like $13.95 or so per shim. I found a site www.crc2onlinecatalog.com that has 29mm for $4.95 per shim. The Kawasaki Klr 650/600 use it and also some Bmw's. I'm going to make a map of all the shims in place after I check the clearances and then see what I will need. I have a 78 e and a 79 sf that I need to work on too but I didn't want all of them out of service at the same time. Thanks again for all the good info.
                          Sam

Comment

I wouldn't buy the shims online. $4 is a lot for shims. Go to the local moto shop and see if they have any they will give or sell to you.
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

valves

Thanks Hobbyman for the advice. I may be able to swap them around and not need any. I'll find out later.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X