10 years in storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years in storage

Hi everybody, I used to be on this forum many yearrs ago and still have my 79 xs11 special stored in a garage for the past 10 years. I did some work to it before I parked it (new exhaust sytem, new tires, rear shocks, braided brake lines, new paint, etc) and was wondering if it's worth bringing it back to life or just part it out.

I wanted to give it to my son as I just recently purchased a new Honda ST1300 for myself. I really don't want to give him something he can't get parts for or is no longer safe.

The bike has about 80k kilometers on it and always ran strong.

Thanks,

Dave Jardine
    79XS1100F
    2006 Honda ST1300

Bring it back!! Between Ebay and the people here, there's enough parts and knowledge to keep it on the road for many years to come! It will just take some time, elbow grease and a few bucks (For things like new tires... even if they look good, the rubber won't be after 10 years). You might post on your info of where you are located. There may be some members in your area that could help you go through things.

One thing I will caution you on is that I hope this won't be your son's first bike. It's do-able, but these bikes are pretty big and strong for a first timer. They are pretty fast and surprisingly nimble for a 600+ pound bike... but they are NOT a crotch rocket and won't handle like one if he gets in a tight spot.

Also... Just wondering. With a last name like that... could you get us all a good price on some new pipes?? lol. Welcome back.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'm in Calgary, Canada. Yes it would be his first bike but he is 31 YO now and a big boy. I remember when I first got it in 84 that it was a little intimidating at first but after a while I could flick it around like it wieghed 200lbs.

Too bad about the tires tho, 400 bucks worth of Metzelers wasted.
      79XS1100F
      2006 Honda ST1300

Comment

How was it stored

If you could be a little more specific on what all you did before letting it sit up. What I mean is things like did you remove the battery, drain the carbs etc.... If not the chore may be a little more involved but still doable.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

definitaly restore it. can't say much more than that.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Before I parked it I drained all the gas from carbs and tank, removed the battery, and changed the oil and filter. Looking at it a little closer today I noticed a leaking fork seal and some brake fluid leaking on one front caliper.

Can you still get rebuild kits for the brakes?
            79XS1100F
            2006 Honda ST1300

Comment

YES .. another Canuck ... Restore her to her former glory. Their a lot rarer up here.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Dave, you should be able to bring it back to life fairly easy. If you feel over your head when it comes time for a carb sync and color-tune, throw it in the back of a truck and bring it over to Revelstoke one weekend. We'll put you up in the guest bedroom, introduce you to the local micro-brewery, and send you back with an XS running the way it was meant to.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                X