No announcement yet.

Still Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point, Fred. A small piece of bent wire will also serve to fish out the o-ring and washer on the later-model carbs which have them
    Ken Talbot

Comment

The idle mixture needles have a spring, a washer and an o-ring on them
      umm... 79' carbs

mro

Comment

um...'79carbs...

ummm...no washer, no o-ring

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the o-ring & washer, I was going crazy trying to find them, thought maybe the PO left them out on a previous cleaning! Well, the carbs are back together, right now they're hooked up to the gas tank for a bench test. I have a fuel line hooked up to the rear nipple on the petcock. ( I believe that one flows when in the on position, the forward one flows on prime. ) So far no leaks, but I want to be sure, so should I push my luck & hook them up to the other nipple & put it on prime? Or is the way I have it hooked up good enough to be sure. One other question, has anyone got ideas on where to find the right hose to maybe replace all of the Octopus? I remember seeing the oem ones at Rich's Yamaha, but I was hoping to find something at a local shop. I'm stopping at a Harley shop on the way home from work tomorrow to check. All I find at auto parts for fuel lines is too thick-walled to work. Thanks.

Comment

Any Bike shop

Most bike shops have the fuel line.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Go to any bike shop and buy some 1/4 urethane fuel hose. It is thin walled, and works much better than automotive hose.

Comment

Finally got the carbs back on, I ended up taking them & the octopus to a shop to get checked out. Turns out the problem was the tangs on the floats. There were small dimples worn where the tang hits the float pin, causing the pins to catch & not seat correctly. Now, it's been so long.........can anyone give their advice on the best way to route the hoses? The long hoses to the float bowls down between 1+2, & 3+4? Or both hoses between 2+3. Then is it over or under the airbox vents? I'm having a hell of a time figuring it out, you'd think I'd have it down by now. I've seen all the octopus diagrams, I wish there was one with a "ghosting" of the carbs superimposed over it, if you know what I mean. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X