Noisy speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy speedometer

Just bought the bike with speedo disconnected after the reconnect there is a loud whiney noise with acceleration.
    Does anybody have any ideas what it might be or what
    I can do?
    Thanks very much!

Remove the speedo cable inner and clean. Lube liberally on reassembly. Also check there are no kinks in the outer cable. Particularly at the ends where the cable meets the crimped part.

Noise in the cable will resonate and sound like it's coming from the speedo.
    1981 XJ550RH
    1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
    1978 XS1100F X Streem
    1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
    Jet/Mod Calculator
    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Thanks very much. I'll give that a go .
      Thanks.

Comment

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the noise is coming from the speedo itself it will be the bell type pick up in the speedo, they come loose with age. I have had mine reco'd with the internals from a Kawasaki speedo. Easy to do, just make sure you get someone good to do it. If your up to it, it can be dont at home with no special tools but it is fiddly to do.....

Cheers
        1982 XS1100R
        1982 XJ650
        1983 VT400
        1990 XVS Shadow
        1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Mine makes noise when it's cold out. I think the bushing around the part the speedo cable sticks into is worn out, so I WD-40 it and go on. It stays quiet for a while. Tried every other oil or grease I could find in the garage, but no luck. It only does it when I get to a certain speed that I can't remember right now. I used to be able to smack the speedo housing and it would stop, you know, how they always smack airplane gauges in the movies....
          Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
          '09 Buell Ulysses
          '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Working...
          X