rattley exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattley exhaust

the number three downpipe has started to rattle. the studs are as tight as i feel comfortable making them (to the torque spec but dont want to get overzealous with 25 year old studs)

I think the problem could have come from removing that side to weld up a crack on the collector. has anyone else had to replace the seals after removing the pipes once? anyone have a good source for the exhaust gaskets?

thanks
    79ish suzuki rm250
    82 honda cb450sc
    78 honda cx500
    72 honda cb175
    78 yamaha xs11e

I *believe* you can still buy yamaha oem gaskets, there are also several aftermarket sources but from my personal experience (may just be me) they are about the same price.

Dennis Kirk has them in stock for $1.99 each

XS11 Gasket from Dennis Kirk

But I would suggest calling your local Yamaha dealer first, they just might have them in stock.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

You can get the exhaust gaskets from www.partsnmoreonline.com for $4 per set of four.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Nice - I'll have to order a couple sets from them
        Also, just noticed the year range on the Vesrah's at DK is 79-81, not sure if they are the same part for 78 or not :/
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

exhaust rattle

they should be regarded as a onetime use only gasket, to prevent leaks and rattles and provide a good seal.They are very inexpensive.....Will

Comment

well, i fixed it...

was going to try to loosen the manifold bolts to take a look at the seals, but put just a hair two much torque on one and it snapped right below the nut. Of course it was the stud that is almost right behind the frame tube so it was a pain in the butt to get the drill bit straight enough to make a hole for the easy out

managed to get it out with liberal doses of heat, wd40, and cussing. Now its set for tommorow-supposed to be a high of 65!! woo hoo!

new gaskets are on the shopping list for this winter--ill have to take of the pipes to do some painting anyways, so ill do it then.
            79ish suzuki rm250
            82 honda cb450sc
            78 honda cx500
            72 honda cb175
            78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Working...
            X