No announcement yet.

The worst possible problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, this is very strange that suddenly there are many posts about this same problem. And weird that both my bikes did it at about the same time.
    Got the E going but the LG still is taunting me.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I replaced the right handlebar control (thanks Ron!!!) and it starts everytime, so far. When I push the start button it kinda hesitates then cranks. I think alloy start and horn buttons are in order (anyone still make these?).

This still has me wondering about the bike suddenly shutting off and either restarting or not.

I rode all around the neighborhood yesterday afternoon. Had everyone wondering what was going on since I didn't stray more than 5 blocks away over 2 hours of riding. I continually shut it off and restarted it with no problems.
      I even rode it to work and back and didn't need the trailer.

It will take awhile till I trust it again.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
        I replaced the right handlebar control (thanks Ron!!!) and it starts everytime, so far. When I push the start button it kinda hesitates then cranks. I think alloy start and horn buttons are in order (anyone still make these?)........
        alloy start and horn buttons....send a pm to xschop...think he will still knock these out for you, and TC does have his buttons listed in the CUSTOM PARTS/SERVICES By MEMBERS thread - listed as Starter/Horn buttons/Stainless Steel/Life Time Guarantee!

right handlebar control....surely I did not suggested this on my first reply glad you got it running!
        Originally posted by Brian_D on 05-06-2007
        excluding the tip-over switch, can only think of three possibilities:
        a) intermittent main switch - since indicator lights always work, red (power) and blue (lighting) connections should be good but need to check the brown (ignition) wire.
        b) intermittent OFF-RUN switch
        c) bad ground to handlebars for the start button - however this should not cause the bike to quit.

Comment

widow up and running

Simplyd and I were out riding today.
          Coulda/woulda/shoulda gone out your way.

mro

Comment

mro
            next time you "get the itch" to "come over the hill" to the Modesto area let me know... cell: (209) 606-6467

...what part of Hayward are you in?
            I got a friend that I'm seeing over in the Hayward/Castro Valley area... have you ever gone to Val's for 'burgers? Great place!

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Val's ?

Place up on the top of "B" street?

When you coming to town, thats about 18 minutes from my place in south Hayward (Fairway Park)

mro

Comment

Val's ?
                Place up on the top of "B" street?
                ....yep - take Center St. off Hwy 580
                and take it to the intersection of Center, B, and Kelly
                Good food and THE best chocolate milk shake I've EVER had
                only bad thing: they're closed Sunday and Mondays...

When you coming to town, thats about 18 minutes from my place in south Hayward (Fairway Park)
                ...I try to make it to Val's at least once a week - depends on what's goin' on in my shop...

mro, send me a pm (or regular e-mail: Ron@unclespot.com) and we could hook up and do some ridin'

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

This is my thread, I can hijack it! lol

With the impending loss of my job in 11 days, I got to thinking .

If I have no employment to go to when this gig ends, I just may need a roadtrip.
                  IF I do it I tenatively plan to head sout to San Diego to visit my sister in Point Loma. After an undetermined amout of time there I might head east to Phoenix, my "coming of age" stomping grounds. I understand it has changed alot.
                  From there I would head north to Idaho and visit my in-laws in Boise.
                  Turn left and off to Bend, Oregon and the rest of my family (Dad in Redmond, Mom in Bend, Sis in Sunriver).
                  Then meander my way back home refreshed, rejuvinated, and ready to rejoin the workforce.

Plan B is to hike the John Muir Trail. This is something I've been planning for a future adventure with my oldest son.
                  The JMT starts in Yosemite Natl. Park at the Happy Iles trailhead. 211 miles later you end at the summit of Mt Whitney at just over 14,000 feet. At no time during that 211 miles do you cross a road, paved or otherwise.
                  I had planned this for the summer of 2009. That year I would turn 50 years old and my oldest would be graduating High School.
                  Who knows what may happen before then. Maybe this is a sign to do it now.

Back to my thread.... The LG is still running and starting. It needs some more adjusting and a new clutch. It's very quick when it gets wound-up with this 1196 kit. And it will just get better with more miles on it.
                  For those that were trapped behind me at the Tahoe Rally.... no more smoking (XSecpt from the back tire)
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Working...
                  X