Oil and Volts Guages Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil and Volts Guages Installation

I think it was tommystinson who asked me to post my guages installation, well, here you go...

The mounting brackets are made form an old XS pilot tree mount, chopped off the ends and bend to fit.

The pods are made from 1-1/4" PVC pipe cap. Fabrication is required to adapt the OEM mounts to the PVC pod. I used 10-32 tube nuts.

Finally, because these guages are made to mount inside a car, you need to weatherproff the bezel at the pod. I used the rubber fork ear insulating ring still available from Yamaha. It is a perfect fit.

Sorry, didn't post the part numbers.

Autometer Oil pressure guage #2354 and voltage guage #2356.

Comment

Pretty trick, Randy. That was clever.

Comment

Why, thank you, kind sir!

Comment

Well done! Nice layout on the gauges Randy. The pics of your bike are my motivation to get the Falcon looking somewhat respectable before the NE rally. She won't be the queen, but I hope she's not the ugliest girl at the prom...
          2010 Kawasaki Z1000
          1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

sweet gauges. I have been pondering about putting handle bar mounted gauges on my bike. I want to put a oxy/fuel ratio gauge and a oil temp gauge on.
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

first off freaking very cool installation job there. My question is where did you run the sensor for the oil pressure gauge? Where does it go? I would love to put something like this on my XJ Maxim do you have to replace the stock sensor??? thanks

Comment

The guage is electric, so you add the sensor with a TEE fitting so you keep the stock idiot light. I don't have a picture, but imagine the stock sender points to port, the electric to starboard.

Comment

sorry there but my feeble intellect could use a more detailed explanation or possibly a pic. Hell i dont even know where the stock sender is located. sorry for asking for the infant spoon fed directions LOL what type of tee fitting would i need ?

Thanks

Comment

Well, I'm afraid you're going to have to wait until Saturday, when I get home and I'll take a photo. If you don't know where the stock sender is, do you think this is something you want to attempt? No disrespect intended, but this is not a task for the novice. Lots of fabrication.

Comment

The XJ does not have an oil pressure switch, they have a oil level sensor that is mounted in the oil pan. The pressure switch is mounted on the engine, right behind the where the cylinders meet the crankcase, and below the carbs, next to where the oil pipe is attached. You can remove the plug that is in the port, and install the sender there.

Comment

oil pressure guage

hey randy, is that oil pressure guage electronic or are you sending oil to the guage? also what is your oil pressure. i have the factory manual and i can't find anything about checking oil pressure and what the specs. are i.e. hot, cold readings. i just rebuilt my 79' xs1100SF engine and befor i did it i had no oil pressure light and now i do. so i took the sensor off and checked it. it went to 100 after starting and then droped to about 60 and then leveled off at about 70. i am mad because my valve cover is leaking so i could not run it for very long, but i saw your pictures when i was searching for oil pressure specs. and now i want the guages too.
                        79' XS1100SF

Comment

raqumup;

The oil guage is electric, sender is attached to the original idiot light port. My cold pressure is about 70 at idle, hot about 15 at idle. Hot cruising about 50.

Comment

Excellent setup!!

I think this is worthy of a writeup and translation into a tech tip.

I've always wanted to add guages but have been stymied by the lack of a good "pod" setup.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                            X