Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-gearing xs11???

Hey all...

I've got a dilemma. I ride a 78 xs11E. Normal highway speeds here in South Carolina range from 60-75 depending on posted speed limits. Well, at speed my rpm's are clearing 4000. What can I do to lower them to a more comfy highway cruising range (maybe dropping it about 500-1000 rpm)??????

Are any other years of xs's gearing different or where they all the same? If I can just doa swap, that'd be great. I'd rather not have a new ring and pinion made to fit my needs.

Any suggestions would be nice. I'll certainly listen to anything at this point.

Vic
    -columbia sc

Sorry, you have no real choice. If you had a special (with 16" rear tire) you could fit the standard (17") wheel/tire and improve things a touch.

We all look for sixth gear. They're all the same ratios.

If you had a VMax, you could put a Venture rear gear in.

If you had a bike w/ a chain, you could change sprocket sizes.

But, you're stuck.

Think of it this way - when you need to twist the throttle, you don't need to downshift
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Was the venture geared differently than an XS? The rear units look the same and use the same dipstick, anybody ever tried to use one on an XS??
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

You can put an 18" rim... but it'll have to be grinded and stuff... lotsa work, but I've seen it done.

Other that that... you are stuck.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Gary, I meant the V-4 Ventures, not the inline Venturer. That's why it fits the VMax, same V-4 basically, and Max was geared lower. But maybe you knew that... okay, well they are bigger and don't bolt up. The main problem is the XS swingarm.

Denny Z has been wracking his giant brain over this for some time, but for now, no realistic solution.

Vic, anything can be done, it's just that there isn't anything cheap and easy

For the money, it's easier to get a different bike. In addition, of course.

Comment

Well, I was afraid of that. I'm gonna look into having new gears machined. I'm sure it will be more than I want to spend, but atleast I'll know for sure.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll keep ya'll informed of what I find out.

Vic

Comment

Don't know that anyone has actually tried to find the cost of having gears machined, so let us know.

I'd love to have my XJ run at 75mph at 3600rpm instead of 55mph! I have another bike that is good for launches, wouldn't mind losing first gear takeoff.

Comment

There'$ alway$ the chain drive conver$ion available from the fellow in Au$tralia if you're $eriou$ about dropping the rpm$
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Can't help much either - the only change I heard about in the UK is some guy who drag races with a Virago rear wheel.

That wasn't a 'bolt right in' conversion - when I talked to him about it he certainly didn't want to do it again for any one else.

Of course in this case the gearing is the wrong way than what yer after to give him a good take off for the 1/4 mile.
                  XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                  Guzzi 850
                  Z1000

Comment

Working...
                  X