Can't see where I am going.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't see where I am going.

Now that daylight savings time is gone this has become an issue for me. My 80g has factory fairing, with the famous square headlight. I can overdrive the stock Stanly headlight in first gear!. I have tried different H4 bulbs with no sucess. I tried adding two, 55w driving lights, but the charging system is not up to the task. I need more/better light during in town driving, (low rpm, low charge rate, dead battery, bike stops, I bump start). My current bulb is a 60w low beam/100w high beam. 100w on high beam works well and since I usually use high beam on open highway, rpm is high enough to keep up the battery. So, now I look to improving the optics of the lens but I find the Stanley headlight is one piece that has to work with the outer rim in order to fit my shell and have the adjustment screws work. The shell is made into the fairing. Had a 1100 Kawa and the headlight assembly allowed me to switch the lens to a Cibie unit that was far superior to stock, not so with the XS. I need/want mor/better light. Help!!
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

I don't know how much luck you might have working on the optics, but you might want to try tracing back through every connector and switch to make sue you're not losing most of your juice to corrosion. Then see if you can find a spare voltage regulator to plug in to see if that makes a difference. I fought with SWMBO's 'H for a long time to finally get her headlight working properly. That one turne dout to be a flakey voltage regulator, but is was also compounded by a number of corroded/loose connections. BTW - does your tach do any weird things?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Webb,
      My Vetter- Windjammer Four fairing sports a round sealed beam headlight. I replaced the headlight with a round halogen sealed beam unit by Sylvannia, available at the auto parts store.
      Greg
      1980 XS1100-G
      1982 CX500 Custom
      1979 XL250-S

Comment

Working...
      X