sudden death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sudden death

Hi Y'all. had a lot of help here to help me keep my two(2) 79 SFs going.

So, now I need some help again: riding along normally, like I always do. Suddently, the engine stops; just like I had cut off the main or kill switch. No electric at all. Main switch does nothing. I switched it out; no dice!?

Battery is at full power; no fuses blown at all. As far as I can see no wires are separated. WHAT CAN IT BE????

CHAKLI

move the kill switch back and forth, then make sure it's centered. If that's not it, start in with a VOM, checking for voltage from the battery on through the main switch.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

check the connection running to the main switch. it is on top and a little aft of the battery on the right side of the bike. It should have a red braided sheathing over it. It is a single blade connection and the plastic gets brittle. I am bettin that it is it.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

If you still have glass fuses, replace them all. They can look fine even when they are blown. Then get yourself one of TC's fuse boxes . If nothing else pull those fuses out and check them for continuity.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I stopped on the side of the highway the other day to help a guy on a harley that had the exact same problem.

Turned out that vibration had broken the earth from the battery. Check for loose bits under the insulation.

Stripped it back and wound some fencing wire around it to get him home.

Broken Harley held together by fence wire. No surprises there.
          1981 XJ550RH
          1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
          1978 XS1100F X Streem
          1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
          Jet/Mod Calculator
          Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

No electric at all

You did check the main fuse on the left side......

mro

Comment

Ya godda love it!

Originally posted by Hired_Goon

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

My 78E hasn't missed a beat in the five years I've had her, but the same thing happened to me without warning the other day. Luckily, she started up again and I was able to limp home. Found three of the four pickup coil wires "hourglassed". See repairs section for the fix.
                Dennis

Comment

Harleys

You know I thought the same thing about Harleys when I first bought the Midnight, however having owned my Harley for 5 years now I can honestly say they are not unreliable. When AMF owned them the quality went way down, it is back. They don't leak oil and are very reliable mechanically.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

Check the cluster of wires behind the headlight. there's a connector with three wires in it mine went bad and gave the same symptom, I got by for the better part of a year by grabbing the wiring behind the headlight bucket and giving it a good shake. usually, I got power back and was on my way before the bike ground to a halt. have a nice day and ride safe.
                    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Ya godda love it!

quote:
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by Hired_Goon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      !
                      Wouldn't that constitute as an up-grade

_________

They don't leak oil and are very reliable mechanically.
                      Actually my old 67 XLCH would allways start, ......eventually......
                      Really only problem was not carry enough tools if I left town,
                      around town nothing ever fell off.

mro

Comment

Had a simular problem on MIYAMI a few years ago. Found some corrosion inside the kill switch. Took it apart, cleaned it up, reassembled, been working fine ever since. If you take the kill switch off to check for corrosion, and have to tear it down further, Be carefull about not loosing the little springs, Don't ask how I know that, but, it add a few hours to the reassembley looking for stuff that flew away.
                        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                        1-big XS patch
                        1-small XS/XJ patch
                        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Yeah...there is a detent ball in there also, isn't there? Yamaha just knows that we silly Americans are crawling around on the garage floor, looking for those little run-away balls.

Originally posted by Czekus21
                          Had a simular problem on MIYAMI a few years ago. Found some corrosion inside the kill switch. Took it apart, cleaned it up, reassembled, been working fine ever since. If you take the kill switch off to check for corrosion, and have to tear it down further, Be carefull about not loosing the little springs, Don't ask how I know that, but, it add a few hours to the reassembley looking for stuff that flew away.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

sudden death

thanks for all the leads on the subject.

it turned out to be the main fuse connector. when i took it off and turned it around, the connector had been running very hot?! and melted the plastic causing an interrupt in connection.

It is the weakest electric link on these machines.

thanks again

Chakli

Comment

main fuse

Hmm...
                              Learn something new every day

mro

Comment

Working...
                              X