Fuse Block/Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse Block/Shocks

Hi, I'm new to posting on this site, so please let me know if I am doing this incorrectly. I didn't want to confuse the fuse block post with my question. The pictures of the fuse box also show some coil over shocks. Could someone tell me what type they are. I'm guessing they can be used to lower the bike a bit. Thanks in advance for your help. tom
    Tom

lowering

Hi Tom,
    I dunno what those shocks are in that photo but you can buy shorter aftermarket shocks anywhere. Choose the length, decide on the quality and lay down the cash.
    BUT
    if you are lowering the rear end of the bike, perhaps because you gotta short inseam, you will worsen the handling, stands & pegs will drag a lot sooner as the bike leans into corners, the side stand will be too long and you'll get a hernia trying to use the centrestand. Less comfortable for sitting but a better ride is to carve away about half of the seat foam thickness to lower your own stern rather than the bike's.
    Fred Hill, S'toon.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I think you are referring to my girl friends' bike:

Shocks are Yamaha / Öhlins from a XJR1300 SP.
      They are not shorter but have approx. equal length as the standard shocks.
      If you want to put this on a non modified bike chances are the piggy back reservoir of the right shock will touch the rear caliper, so you must mount them with the reservoir pointing forward.
      XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
      MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
      Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
      Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
      Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
      Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

no stock bike here

Mathh, have to ask:
        a) front fender from???
        b) front wheel and brakes/discs from???
        c) rear wheel and brakes/discs from???

from the pic, all I can see is "Mr. Wolf crying SHEEP"

we/I want specs on every single one of those mods!

Comment

Another thing to consider when going to shorter shocks is shorter suspension travel.
          The OEM shocks for the XS11 had only 4" of travel.
          I have a 32" inseam and have no problem when I'm stopped. I also (for myself) feel the need to have both feet flat on the ground when I'm stopped. I usually only put one foot down or maybe both feet lightly, just on the ball of the foot.
          When I replace my shocks (hopefully soon) I'm looking for longer shocks to increase my ground clearance and suspension travel. Sadly I need heavier weight-rated springs (I'm getting chubby).
          Maybe I'm just used to dirtbikes where you have to slide your butt off the seat to one side to reach the ground with one foot.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks for the help, and the picture. I would also be interested in the mods you made to the bike. My reason for asking was I bought a 78 Standard last year with a turbo. The previous owner installed some aftermarket rock hard shocks. The bike rides like a rocket, but I do need to install softer shocks. The ones on the fuse block thread, look like an option. thx again. tom
            Tom

Comment

Turbo - he said turbo!

C'mon, LVTom, you can't get away with just dropping a hint like that about having a turbo. We need pictures! We need to hear from you how well it works. Details, man, details...
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Sorry I took so long to reply Ken. I was actually lurking on this site last year, and someone posted that there was an xs with a turbo for sale on EBAY. Well I ended up buying it. I had some vacation coming, so I hopped a Greyhound from Las Vegas to Missoula, Montana. The owner picked me up at the bus station, handed me the keys, I got on the bike and drove it to Wisconsin. It ran and rode perfectly. It's a stock 1978 with a Mr. Turbo, turbocharger. It's pretty impressive. I'll post some pictures soon. tom

PS: I also have a 79 xs that was turned into a hillclimber. It's actually competed in the Widowmaker Hill Climb in California. Weber carbs, magneto, chain drive conversion. That kind of stuff.
                Tom

Comment

Now we definitely need pictures Tom

Tom
                  Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                  X