No announcement yet.

Maintenace free batteries for an XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenace free batteries for an XS11?

XSive's,

I was wondering if anyone had tried to get a maintenance free battery for an XS recently. I bought one of these batteries 2 years ago after reading about it on the list. I gave $66 for it. I liked the battery so much I wanted to get one for my '83 Yamaha Venture, which takes the same battery as the XS and Goldwing. They counter man said he could not get another one, since Honda no longer made that battery. He told me that Honda had a new replacement battery that was $120. I tried another Honda shop and they said they had one but could not find it, I never checked back to see if they got one in or not. I looked else where and found that NAPA stores sell a maint. free battery for around $100. Does anybody else know of a maint. free battery for the XS? I would like to get some new numbers in the tech tip for this!

Here is the original info from the tech tip:

I purchased the battery last year from a dealer who sells Hondas. The battery is a "Motosport Battery" manufactured by American Honda Motor Co., Inc. The part number is: GTX18L-BS. It's a little pricey (I paid $60.00 on sale).

Has anybody else tried to get one of these lately?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

I recently bought a maintenace free from a Yamaha dealer here in Chicago. I'll have to get the # later this morning. It did cost over $100 thou
    Chicago

Comment

Don't have my catalog here, but I seem to remember DK haveing one for a decent price.
      Cheers,
      Lazer

81XS11H
      why not?

Comment

Don't have my catalog here, but I seem to remember DK haveing one for a decent price. [/B][/QUOTE]

DK price is $81.99. Page 362 in the 2002 catalog.
        Gary
        79sf
        78e

Comment

Gary, I was told the same thing about the gel battery. The Honda dealer said that they had too many returns from dissatisfied customers.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

OK, sorrry it took so long.
            here is what I got.
            Its a YUASA super sealed MF
            the number on the box is
            YTX24HL-BS
            Hope this helps
            Mike

Comment

hey fellas,
              this is my first post on the new forum. I purchased a new glassmat maint free battery from Interstate Batteries. I have been an auto mechanic for almost 15 years and they are my favorite brand battery. i will take one over a diehard anyday. The sealed battery for my 81 special was like $90.00. Money well spent.

Comment

XS sealed battery

Gary:

I put a Westco 12V22 sealed battery in the XJ this spring. Think the XS uses the same one. Price was $74.95 including shipping, plus tax in Arizona since Westco has a physical presence here. Total was still around $80.00.

This is an AGM type battery, not a Gel type. AGM uses conventional fluid in a sealed container. Gases are absorbed by the glass-mat technology inside the battery then reused.

www.westcobattery.com
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Bill,

Do you have the part number for the Interstate Glassmat battery?

Gary
                  Gary Granger

Comment

Hey gary,
                    I do not have the part number handy. i will get it for you and repost it here for you.
                    Bill Woods
                    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Hi Gary,
                      I got the part # off my battery today. It is an Interstate Battery YIX50L-BS. I bought mine last fall when i got the bike. so far, so good!
                      cya
                      Bill Woods
                      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Anybody else got any info to add to this? I am going to update the tech tip with the new information..........Thanks to all you guys who provided the part numbers and info!!
                        Gary Granger

Comment

FWIW, paperwork that came with the Westco Battery had company name and address of:

MK Battery
                          1645 S. Sinclair
                          Anaheim, CA 92806

No phone number on the invoice.

Battery price was $74.95
                          Sales tax $4.20 (Arizona rate.)
                          Total price $79.15 shipped to my door via UPS ground.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                          X