oh boy more exhaust ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh boy more exhaust ???

I know a few threads about exhaust choices/ modifications ...I have this set coming in from the bay. I chose them because they are stainless and only ran me 130 HED... I read that these are the exact exhaust from a 600cc Bandit as well as the 1200...So I figure they should be good enough for the Yellow streak 1200cc that's in the making....I want to run a can right off the end of this thing just for looks(want to show off the single side swingarm)...my question is the stock Bandit 1200 has a midpipe...and will my chop not having this 6-8" extra pipe affect the power/revving/torque whatever....I am not an exhaust guru, therefore I ask....Chop

MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

difficult

It is always difficult to use a foreign pipe on an existing set up. You realise it took a heap of engineers a lot of time to come up with a functional solution when a new model appears. You just cannot replicate that r&d by switching that pipe to a completely different bike.
    First of all the 1200 and 600 have two different exhausts (yr 2000 , 1200: 14100-32F11 vs yr 2000, 600: 14100-26E00).
    Second: the XS and the Bandit are two completely different bikes: 8 valve vs 16 valve, bore and stroke is different, cam configuration is different, max rpm is different.

This will not mean that your bike will not run at all, but it will be a gamble and it is absolutely clear that it will not run as perfect as it could run with a pipe built for the XS. Extra problem with this pipe is the interconnecting pipe between downpipes 1 and 4 and 2 and 3. These are meant to boost torque at lower revs ans are welded on a calculated place on the downpipe. This place is determined by the pulses of the exhaust gases, a result of the engine configuration. A balance pipe in the wrong place will do more bad than good for the gas flow.
    Same with the lenght of your collector. The end of the pipe and beginning of the muffler is determined by the exhaust pulses as well. These pulses occur on several places along the exhaust and the right spot is then determined by the use of the bike (bias on torque or horesepower). On cheap exhausts these spots will show by blueing of the chrome (heat).

Next to that torque and or horespower can be affected by length of the downpipe, 4 into 2 (more torque) or 4 into 1 (hp), but her I am already beyond my knowledge.

In your case and for that money I should say: go for the style you want and look how it all adds up.

just my 2 cents

you can look overhere for a decent explanation:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=13410
    Last edited by Mathh; 05-02-2007, 03:21 AM.
    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

thanks mathh

I am flying by the seat of my pants on this one... I will have the 1196 big bore with bigger valve heads, '80 cams and a true port and polish to the head...we'll see
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

header diff

I was told and looked up that the 01-06 head pipes were the same for the 600 and 1200 Bandits...of those years. There is a baffle in the collector, maybe those are different?
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
        X