Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duh...suspension adjustment note

I guess I didn't experiment enough.

A few years ago I had Progressive springs put in my XJ's front forks. I had thought they had a little to much preload, but not enough for me to want to take the fork caps off and play with the spacers.

However, over the weekend I upped the pressure in the XJ's rear shocks from my normal of 24 psi to about 32 psi. Guess what...front forks feel much better!

Too little air pressure in the XJ's rear air-adjustable shocks seems to have resulted in mis-matched suspension tuning. With a little more preload in back the forks seem more 'planted' and work better at absorbing small to mid-size irregularities.

Just a comment...anyone running air-adjustable rear air shocks may want to experiment with a wider range of pressures than you might otherwise normally run, particularly if you have made front suspensions mods.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

yes i noticed that correlation myself, when i tighten up the rears, the front would not squat the rears so much,

making the bike a suspension arm to the rear vs. just the suspension for the fronts.

another thing along these lines is i think the stock foam on the 79 seats are useless, and somewhat a suspension themselves, with no damping, alot of yoyo-ing, even for my feather weight of 135, i put in a beautifiul king with modified queen(not so bolstered) between the marine vinyl and the firm foam, the input i place on the bike immediatlely telepaths to the tires, one of the best suspesion mod thusfar.

the collective improvement achieve by repacking the steering, rear swingarm, new front wheel bearings, properly ( in sequence) installing the front wheel and fork brace, progessive front springs and now the seat is nothing short of a complete transformation.

better than new? you betcha!
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Here's a little chart from Yamaha's XJ manual... maybe good for getting you close.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own