Fuel Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Lines

Does anyone know where i can find a picture or diagram of where/how all the fuel lines hook back up after taking everything apart, as i didnt take pictures and dont really remember....any help would be great. thanks again. -Joe
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

Do you still have the fuel distribution valve (octopus) in the system? If you don't then just run a hose from the petcock to the bank of carbs on the opposing side of the bike. If you do still have it, then do a search here for fuel line routing.
    Last edited by John; 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Frogdink this article in carburators by Mike Hart should be able to guide you.

Diaphragm Assembly (Octopus) Testing and Fuel Hose Routing Diagram

Tonio________________
      tonio
      81 xs eleven special

Comment

frogdink,

If I remember correctly K&L is the only company that makes a rebuild kit for the octy. Trouble is they make the piston that cuts off fuel 2mm too short!!

Ditched mine a while back for Pingle petcocks and dual inlet and dual outlet filter

Nubee

Comment

Brian
          XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
          Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I got sick of working with the fuel lines between the carbs ( I ditched the octopus years ago.) Last summer I fit a Standard tank onto my Special sidecar rig to get the extra fuel capacity. I tried rebuilding the petcocks with k&l kits but they still leaked.

I finally ended getting aftermarket petcocks and adapters from Mikes XS. These have outlets both to front and rear that can be plugged if desired. I run the fuel lines to the rear around the air box where I put in easily accessible inline filters. At the rear base of the air box I put in Briggs & Stratton 90 degree inline petcocks and then cross the lines over to the opposite carbs.

I'm adding an aux tank and fuel pump into the hack and will simply attach the fuel tubing to the front side of the right petcock for transfering fuel.

The extra petcocks are kinda overkill but I have them on all my XSs mainly for long term storage. Tho' I still have to manually turn off the gas I haven't overflowed into the crankcase since I started using them.

Rob

Comment

more info

Originally posted by John View Post
              Do you still have the fuel distribution valve (octopus) in the system? If you don't then just run a hose from the petcock to the bank of carbs on the opposing side of the bike. If you do still have it, then do a search here for fuel line routing.
              john - i don't have the octopus, and you answered the first half, but my stock petcocks that i've rebuild have (maybe obviously to you) both primary and res lines. i assume you meant to route the primary to the opposing banks, but what for the reserve lines?? sorry if this is an amateur question- its my first rebuild.
              thanks
              79xs11f - ugly as sin after sitting in a garage for 12 years, but rumbles like the beast that it is.

Comment

I am not sure if it is the same on the XJ or not so I will add the standard YMMV disclaimer, but for my XS Special (SH), the petcock has one outlet for PRIME and one outlet for ON, the reserve flows through the ON outlet which is the rear outlet on both sides. If you have ditched the OCTY, then run both outlets to the T and the other outlet from the T to one pair of carbs, same for the other side. I am planning to install an inline fuel filter after the T.

By eliminating the OCTY, both outlets do the same thing and are basically redundent. Only thing I am not certain of yet, is if the PRIME side will let your reserve run out. HTH
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

thanks dg,
                  also wondering from those who've ditched their octo, when you park i know you're gonna leak if you don't shut off your petcocks, but which position is off??
                  i have on, pri, and res. my best guess is res, but just checking
                  tia
                  79xs11f - ugly as sin after sitting in a garage for 12 years, but rumbles like the beast that it is.

Comment

no off position

If your petcocks have no "off" position, that is because you probably have a Standard, not a Special. The Standard petcocks are vacuum controled themselves and did not require the octy, so, if your Standard petcocks leak, ya better rebuild or replace them.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Fairly Certain

I believe that the only reason the fuel will cause a problem is if you have float problems in the carbs. Shutting off the fuel petcock is insurance against big problems IF your carb floats stick (or the valves leak or stick...etc.). On my special, ON is down, Prime is rear of the bike on both sides, RES is up and OFF is front of the bike on both sides.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

hooked it all up today, and definitely need new petcocks. any pointers or idea on prices??
                        i do have a standard, and i didn't originally think that i needed the octo, but got bad advice somewhere.
                        also, any tips on throttle tubes? i got a new one, but am curious as to whether or not i need to adhere the tube to the inside of the grip, and if so, with what? standard super glue?? or am i way off course? the grip turns by itself w/o turning the throttle tube.
                        Last edited by theduke; 12-07-2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Hey Duke,

There are rebuild kits for the petcocks that you can get from many sources, ebay...Georgefix is one known good seller, plus sites like Partsnmore.com, etc.! Just be sure to get the right kind, Standard vacuum controlled petcocks ARE different than gravity feed Special petcocks!

As for your grips, sounds like you got the wrong size, these are 7/8"s bars and grips, and it's a squeeze/pressure fit to get the grip onto the throttle plastic shaft. You might be trying to fit 1" grips onto it and that's why it's just spinning on the sleeve??

With the proper 7/8" grips, it's a tight fit onto the sleeve, but with some water, hairspray, etc., they can usually be made to slip/slide right on, and once dry, are very secure!!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I rebuilt my octy and the kit must have been the one with the bad diaphram
                            as it didnt work.I took it off ,that was back I think in like March.I never remember to shut off the petcocks.In fact I dont think they are off now.I have not had them leak at all.Oh ,and it is on the side stand.The carbs wont leak if the needles and seats are good.
                            I still would like to fix the octy though.You never know when you will "spring" a leak.
                            80 SG XS1100
                            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by theduke View Post
                              hooked it all up today, and definitely need new petcocks. any pointers or idea on prices??
                              i do have a standard, and i didn't originally think that i needed the octo, but got bad advice somewhere.
                              also, any tips on throttle tubes? i got a new one, but am curious as to whether or not i need to adhere the tube to the inside of the grip, and if so, with what? standard super glue?? or am i way off course? the grip turns by itself w/o turning the throttle tube.

i have just the cure to get you fixed right up,

i have posted brand new petcocks, and complete throttle assembly with switches the entire works. plus ill toss in extra goods. all for much much cheaper than new retail outrageous prices.

Comment

Working...
                              X