Washer Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer Bolt

I was doing my spring oil change this morning and noticed something odd. all of you transmission gurus out there, the "Washer bolt" that peeks out from behind the clutch basket was laying in the bottom behind the clutch cover. I fished it out with a grabby tool. this is not the first time I have run into this issue. when I first got the bike, I found the original washer bolt layng in about the same spot when I opened the clutch cover to relpace said clutch. I could not get a replacement, so I got the proper size bolt, a split lock washer and a couple large flat washers and installed them. long story short (too late) a complete engine / Trans. rebuild later....1800 miles ago, I find again the bolt has come out. When I rebuilt everything, I was nigh unto anal about my torque settings, checked them all several times. now to the questions...(I know, about time!)... what, if any, detrimental effects will I see from my trans with this bolt missing for the moment? and should I have used loc-tite on the bugger when I put it in? I did on all the stuff that had it on when I took it apart, but this piece was already fallen out so I was not sure wheter or not it had some on it from the factory. Judas preist, I am long winded. that's all I got for now, thanks in advance for any help. have a nice day and ride safe.
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Hey Lorax,

Is THIS what you're talking about?

My finger is pointing to the bolt that has a large head and a washer! The clutch shaft is in bottom left corner since image is upside down!

That bolt is what holds the countershaft assembly and all of the gears in place! So...if yours has fallen out, you will definitely need to pull the clutch and replace it with a PROPER one and torqued to specs so that it will stay there. I didn't use any locktite on mine! You'll need to check with BikeBandit to see if it's still available...I'd do it, but it's late, have to get to bed!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Washer doin' in there anyway.

Hi Lorax,
      good you found the loose thingy and hopefully the thing can be fixed but my oil and filter change just needs pulling the drain plug and removing the filter cover.
      What were you doing behind the clutch cover?
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I wasn't behind it today, I just happened to look down into the fill hole and saw something down there I didn't immediately recognize, got a flashlight and saw it. I don't know how long it's been laying down there, but I will fix it ...again. by the way, I havent noticed any issues with it shifting. it has been down there for at least a little while as the head of the bolt was buggered, then again, so was the original. I wish I knew why it doesn't seem to want to stay in place. oh well, back to the hardware store. oh, and yes, T.C. that is the offending piece of hardware. and yes, I will replace it, and no, I do not believe it is available as I tried to get one close to 2 years ago and found out it was discontinued. like I said, back to the hardware store. have a nice day and ride safe.

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hey Lorax,

Perhaps some members with damaged engines that are only parts bikes could help you with obtaining one?? Also, have you checked with Andreas, he has lots of parts?!

It was a little difficult to torque because the shaft turns, you may need to put it in gear and wedge the rear wheel to help provide resistance for proper torquing, and you may want to use threadlock this time!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes, Yes, Yes, Threadlock will definitely be in the cards. I Thought I torqued it properly when I put the engine back together. Maybe it's the hole with the threads in it.....hmmn. I guess it'll be coming apart this weekend. just a thought, will the trans. hold that shaft with the clutch out? or will it free spin? sould I install the bolt / washer, get it as tight as possible, then put in the clutch basket, put it in gear and try to get a torque wrench around behind the clutch? I am a little fuzzy on just how all that works now....I guess I figure it out. thanks for the input, have a nice day and ride safe.

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Working...
            X