• Show
Clear All

• replacing front calipers

hey there xs'ers'

i think both of my front calipers are leaking

it seems there is little bit of grease on the front rotors

but it seems odd to me that they would both go out at the same time

has anyone else had this problem?

im pretty sure my fork seals leak a tiny bit as well, but i doubt that the fork oil can travel all the way down to the rotors, besides, ive cleaned the front forks, and have been looking for oil leaking down, but there is none

ive got to change my front master cylinder because of my new bars anyway. so my plan is to do a total front brake system overhaul

calipers, pads, master cylinder, and possibly rotors and lines

can the front rotors be cut at an auto parts store?
    1980 XS1100SG - almost done

It would be some what odd for both to go at the same time. Clean the rotors and take it for a spin to see if there is new break fluid on the rotors when you are done the run. Being that there is what you describe as grease on both rotors perhaps you followed someone with a oil leak in their car. Is there grease on other parts directly behind the calipers? is the feel at the lever feeling soft and spongy? Brake fluid also smells somewhat different then grease and oil.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

You didn't say, do the brakes still work OK? Even if they are still working you do need to find out where the oil leak is coming from & fix it. If the pads have been contaminated by this leak they most likely need to be replaced so you are already committed to that level of teardown anyway. Why are you changing the master cylinder with the bars? I don't see the need to do that but if you do, be sure the replacement m/c has the same diameter piston as the original or you may change the brake feel in a way you won't like.
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X