power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power

Hey Guy's I am new here picked up an 1981 eleven special and am trying to get her squared away- It barely ran when I got her, the octopus had a leak I found one on this site. I replaced that and I went to start it and I only get a click fron sounds like the solonoid one of the screws look like it is corroded so i think i need a new one. Do you know if there is anything else that i need to look at to get the starter to turn? or is there some saftey switch i may have accidently activated?

I am also looking for the air filter but cant seem to figure out were it would be can someone point me in the right dirrection?

Thanks in advance for any help you guy's may provide me it is greatly appreciated.

Tonio
    tonio
    81 xs eleven special

If you just got the bike check the battery condition. These puppies require a lot of juice to turn over and while running. Battery needs to be tip top all the time. Used bikes and cars for that matter often come with a battery that is on its last leg. Try getting a boost.
    As for safety switch's if the wiring is the same as the older models there is a "kill" switch on the right side handle bar that needs to be in the run position but even if in the off position the bike would turn over.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

If you have already found one badly corroded connection at your solenoid, there's a real good chance you\ve got corroded connections all through the fuse box and all over the bike. Read through some of the technical articles in the electrical maintenance section before you get too carried away, and you'll get an idea where to start looking first.

Air filter - start at the carbs, follow the four black rubber tubes coming out the back side. The big box they go into is the air cleaner. It is held shut by wingnuts in the four corners of the bottom section. Inside is the filter element.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

make sure you are in neutral or the clutch needs to be pulled in. Make sure the grounding strap on the engine to frame is in good condition. try jumping it from another battery.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Tonio,

Welcome, wondered when you'd get around to posting!

First, if you'll go to the LINKS section, you'll find a thread about an OWNER's Manual in PDF format, it's for the 81 H/SH....how convenient , and download it....about 6 MB, it'll show you WHERE everything is, basics on operating, etc.! It's not a REPAIR manual, but is still helpful until you can get a real one!

Secondly, go to the MISC section, again SCROLLING DOWN FROM THE MAIN FORUM PAGE....not thru the links in the yellow left column, and you'll find a thread on what to look for in a neglected XS11, it'll tell you the systems you'll need to look at to get it road worthy and safe!

If your fuse block is fried, the clips crumbling, etc., I provide replacement spade type blocks for a nominal fee, see the tech tips on replacing fuseblock! Good Luck!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

A short test

Hi Tonio,
            there's two skinny wires that activate the starter solenoid and two fat ones the starter current goes through. This bodger's trick eliminates the solenoid's internal contacts from the starter circuit:- Short the fat wires terminals across with a wrench you're not fond of. If the battery is OK the starter will crank the engine. If the starter just whirrs but the starter clutch don't engage, the battery is down.
            If 24 hours on the charger don't fix it, the battery is toast.
            Fred Hill, S'toon.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hateful air filter

Hi Tonio,
              as Ken sez, the big box behind the carbs is the air filter. Not to rain on Ken but perhaps he should have elaborated. The bottom half undoes from the top half with 4 captive wing-bolts underneath and once it is down you can inspect the air filter element and change it if necessary. Removing the lower half leaves the top half in place and hooked up to the carbs by the air intake boots. There are 3 M6 phillips head screws that hold the top half to the bike. One is top front through a sheet steel stirrup and threads into the frame. One each side goes through the frame and threads into the box. These are the ONLY 3 you remove.
              There's lots more screw heads in the airbox top that hold all it's hopelessly overcomplicated innards in place; pull those and you'll be sorry as it's a nightmare trying to get that bitch back together.
              Fred Hill, S'toon.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Get a manual!

Hey tonio, welcome.

These are great old bikes and are a thing of wonder when running in perfect tune but can get ugly fast when not.

I (and probably others here) seriously recommend you get a manual and read up before you get too deep into these machines. Best $ you can spend and could save you the really big $ later on.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

eleven special

Thanks Guy's great advice I have printed and will be checking on these things to see if I can make it work will order a solenoid from Andreas and see what other parts I may need he seems to have a selection. I will keep you posted as to how I come up I know I will have other questions if there is anything you guy's think I should know please let me know I will appreciate all the help I can get.

Tonio
                  tonio
                  81 xs eleven special

Comment

power

O.k. Guy' s found the filter woo hoo changed the solenoid and battery and I ran thru all the wires took the block apart does not look in best of condition but seems to be operable. and unpluged and pluged every connection that I could get a hold of. Nothing I have done from testing the starter from the solenoid the fat wires as fredintoon recomended to the trying to plug the trickler directly to the starter wire.

the solenoid clicks when i hit the start button but the starter will not engage.

So all I can think is that we fried the starter when the p o was trying to start it over and over before I bought it? what do you guys think. so do I take the starter apart because i called a dealer in the area and the told me the starter was discontinued.

all your Ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you all!

Tonio
                    tonio
                    81 xs eleven special

Comment

Do you have a volt meter or test light? If not, go get one. If you do, just probe the large gauge wire at the starter when you hit hit the start button. If you have voltage, then the starter should spin. If it doesn't then remove it , but leave the wire on, and hold the case of the starter against the engine to make a ground, and hit the starter button again. If it has power to it then, and it still doesn't spin, then I would say the starter was toast. You can always find one on ebay, or possibly Andreas Weiss may have one.

Comment

starter

Hey John I emailed Andreas but he had told me he would be out of town for 10 days so i dont expect him back for a few days. But i did take the starter of and gave it some juice and it did not turn. This is the first time I have taken one apart. I can not seem to figure out how to get to the bottom part it looks like the brushes?
                        Also do you know what I can use to clean the inside it is pretty dirty and the amature can that be cleaned? Also the 2 gaskets were in pretty bad shape and i had to scrape them off. O.K. thanks for your help.

Tonio
                        tonio
                        81 xs eleven special

Comment

To get to the brushes, you have to remove the two, long thin bolts that hold the starter together. There right there on the outside of the starter. Once removed, the end caps can be removed, and the brushes will be accessable.
                          To clean the armature, I would suggest some electrical component cleaner. I don't think would cause any adverse affects with varnish on the windings. Brake clean may work well also.
                          If you can't repair it, I have one for $25, if you don't want to try ebay.

Comment

Working...
                          X