Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup loom

I was wondering if the entire pickup loom is:
    1. Available. 2. Not a nightmare to change.

I checked mine -one wire was busted and two more broke with almost no effort. I repaired them (I'm a tech so my soldering is pretty good) but the wires aren't a nice clean copper, they were black-ish and difficult to get the solder to take to them.
    Finally when I started it up I have the same bad idle/miss problem so now I'd like to replace that whole loom to remove any chance that it has either breaks somewhere else, or the solder joints are bad. I don't mind making the loom but Ihaven't investigated where it goes after entering the case by the transmission.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Hey Sip,

The "Pulsar Coil" assembly which is the 2 PU coils and attached wires that run up to the wiring harness is available from BikeBandit and other sources:
    2: PULSER COIL ASY 22830-001 $111.44
    Have you READ the tech tips on the pickup coil wire repair? You need to get some NEW WIRE from Radio Shack or such....multimeter test lead wire....very flexible, and replace the entire section under the timing cover. From there, you can use 16Ga wire on up to the harness connections!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you Sir.
      Si Parker
      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

These wires really are sketchy. I developed a bad miss and decided to do the repair. Even with the old wires cut out, and in my hand, I couldn't find any signs of wear or damage yet the repair fixed the miss.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
        X