Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilot passages on80 series carbs

Ok heres the deal as you all know I have been trying to find a
    #1 and #2 carb body with decent pilot jets and screws, well a member sold me a set with still capped mixture screws
    and good pilot jets The set I have on the bike are running rather well however they have mixture screws left in them I cant adjust hence the drill,
    So I tear the new carbs apart 1980 series defineatly and take off #1 and #2 they have 110 in #1 and 120 main in #2 both pilot jets are plugged off ,floats way out whack, I throw them on to the rack with my #3 and #4 carb after cleaning and bench synching,adjusting floats to 23mm she fires right up
    take her out on the road and she craps out at 5500 rpm,so back in shop take out jets and floats and swap them out from my original #1 and #2 except pilot screws throw them back in .. same thing crap out at 5500
    plugs look like im running lean all across the board.
    Ok tear into the #1 and #2 again only to find that these new 1980 carbs have the passage between the pilot and main.\110 main on 1 and 120 on #2 original mikunis
    So i guess this question is Can i mix and mach this set of carbs or am I back to finding and #1 and #2 carb body
    I guess what puzzles me most is the new set did not have 137.5 mains in there to make up for the pilots
    Will the set with the passages be able to run 110 and 120 mains.
    if I rebuild all 4 of them.
    are you confused yet.. yeah me 2

Hey Ljay,

IF the new bodies are otherwise similar to your OEM's, same slide size, just with the pilot jet tunnel, then I think a better solution than using those 2 with 137 jets would be to block off the pilot jet tunnel, and leave the pilot tower open, and run the 110 and 120 mains instead. You should be able to put some JB Weld down in there since it's impervious to gas. And leaving the pilot plug off will allow it to get it's fuel directly from the bowl, just like your other carbs, and so the 110/120 jets should be fine.

As for being lean on your other carbs, you may some minor float tweeking, or jet tweeking?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X