Timing light Antics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing light Antics

Thinking of intermittant ignition problem check .
    On my inductive timing light it flashes around idle , then looks like steady light . Guessing around 5k it seems to look like it breaks up ....
    Not sure if this is normal , but its a lot easier than watching plugs firing !!Wonder if this is usfull to look at , as its real easy to switch from one wire to the next .....

Bob
    1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
    1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Yes, timing light is an excellent plug diagnostic tool. Basically, if the light don't light, then your plug aint firin' either!

Around 5K you have a misfire? could be pickup coils, old plug wires or wrong plug gaps.

Comment

Seeing The Light

Originally posted by randy
      Yes, timing light is an excellent plug diagnostic tool. Basically, if the light don't light, then your plug aint firin' either!

Around 5K you have a misfire? could be pickup coils, old plug wires or wrong plug gaps.
      The plug wires look like they came from the civil war ...
      Might try the run it in the dark wet trick ...

I'm going to look at it again , just seemed on the two plug wires I hooked too , both seemed odd at mid rpm . Will look at all and see what it does ...

Bob
      1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Bob, Check the plug caps as well. They get old, and the resistor will break down. New NGK caps are still available from many shops, including auto parts. Mine were about $5.00 each for new.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

See the light

Cool thanks !

Took it out today for a ride, its still rich on #1 plug . Part clean near the tip of the plug and puffy black everywhere else ...

I think the wires / ignition are ok , just the timing light does flash brigher than the bace light sporatically ...
          Guessing thats normal ...

Bob

Comment

Bob,

Have you tried a new plug in #1? Sometimes fouled plugs will not clean themselves if the carbon buildup is enough to continue the misfire

Comment

Originally posted by randy
              Bob,

Have you tried a new plug in #1? Sometimes fouled plugs will not clean themselves if the carbon buildup is enough to continue the misfire
              Hi Randy ,
              I've been switching the plug each time . The other cylinders look a great tan now , and they are like plug cleaners . Put a clean one in #1 and it gets sooty . It cant be too bad as its got a clean spot on it tip and electrode . I can run it and its never died even on a 60 mile trip I did the other day ...Actually more than 60 miles.
              I'm sure this bike is getting known around town ...
              Today it ran better , goes to idle quicker . It stumbles around 4.5k if accelerating . getting narrow on the dead spot .

I switched floats and mixed up all the idle mix jets . Was going to see if Ether around the idle mix jets did anything , but cant find it ...

I do see slight pitting and brass color worn off the emulsion jets ...
              the jet that goes in the emulsion tube ...

But its so close to being right its rediculas . Have to Keep it going if it sits 20 seconds or so . These carbs look like they took some abuse before . Also saw the float bowls were forced to the side a bit . Each end where the gasket sits was smooshed a little . Pliers fixed that . Not sure if it helped or not ...

But if you take off full blast to 8.5k I run out of straight in 5th 7.5k . Does not take long to do that . Not sure hoe accurate the tach is . But the seat of the pants say it moving !!!

Will ride it and goof with the idle , looking into getting new idle jets although they look fine , but the little o-rings look tired ...

Speaking of tired , I have to get up at 4:30 the next three days for work ...
              Later...

By the way looked at the pictures of the swamp rat , its awesome !!

Bob

Comment

Bob,

I don't recall if anyone covered this point, but is the fouling dry and powdery or is it wet and oily? If oily, you cold have leaking valve seals in #1. Dry powdery fouling is from rich mixture.

Comment

Dry and powdery , like lamp black ...
                  I did the same on all carbs , but this one has a slight hitch to it..
                  I could try lowering the fuel level more ...it was very slightly high last time I did the actual level check with the 1/4" tube ....
                  I set the floats to 26mm ....that within spec on the 78/79 carbs.
                  the xj manual gives you a spec for actual fuel level...

Bob
                  I dont mind riding it as is . but to get it right would be really cool...

Comment

Jet needles and needle jets are small tolerance parts. If the gold anodizing is worn off of one of yours then it needs to be replaced. The needle jets/emulsion tubes also suffer from wear with fuel contamination, but not as quickly as the needles. The Keyster carb kits come with the needles, most don't. I have a few extras, PM me and I'll send you one.
                    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Out of curiosity .. Are you using a hard wired timing light or an inductive light? I ask because the inductive lights only work on one side of the coils. If I'm not mistaken inductive light only works properly on #1 and # 3 if the coils are wired as per factory set up. It has to do with the coil design. they fire positive and negative charges and on the negative firing wires the inductive lights are unreliable.
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                        Out of curiosity .. Are you using a hard wired timing light or an inductive light? I ask because the inductive lights only work on one side of the coils. If I'm not mistaken inductive light only works properly on #1 and # 3 if the coils are wired as per factory set up. It has to do with the coil design. they fire positive and negative charges and on the negative firing wires the inductive lights are unreliable.
                        Rob
                        Hey Rob ,
                        Inductive , I tried it on #1 and 2 . acted the same on both .
                        just as it glows at higher rpm it flickers brighter , but it seems to work on both. did not try 3 and 4 ....
                        my guess would be my ignition is fine , but would like to compare how the light reacts ....on another system to compare ...
                        Thanks
                        Bob

Comment

If the plug's fouled/sooty then the timing light won't work properly, wirebrush the plug clean, the timing light should flash properly - until that plug carbons up again...

Comment

Working...
                          X