Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sparky subject.....

Well, I finally did it...

Since I bought the bike 2 years ago, ive had this "catch" at about 2k RPMs where the bike would seemingly lose spark and almost, if not, die completely. Letting of the gas completely, and trying it again would let me accelerate normally, most of the time. The night I bought the bike, I checked the pickup coils (my dad owns an 80g, so new of them being faulty) and they appeared to be fine. Guess not.

in the last week, ive noticed it getting worse, and even not sparking the plugs at all. after diagnosing it, and with the help of you guys on here (see thread "she coughed and she sputtered) I decided it was time to pop the cover off and see what I was up against. Both wires were broken, approxamately 2inches back from the brass clamp. by forcing them together the bike would fire, pulling apart would cause it to die. I repaired them via the tech tip and now the bike runs as it should. No more wondering if the bike is going to die when I let out the clutch (at least not at my error) or if im going to make it through an intersection.

I think this will be the last time that I buy a bike that is older than me (ill be 21 in June, bike is 27) But ill have to give it the credit that it has been one heck of a learning experience.

Thanks for the help.
    Bauer
    1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
    Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
    1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
    Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

"whippersnapper!"

I think this will be the last time that I buy a bike that is older than me
    Yeah, but you can fix it yourself, anywhere...

"Help, my throttle position sensor isn't working!"
    "Help, the stepper motor on throttle body #3 quit on me!"
    "Help, I'm stuck in a rest area. Can someone bring out the diagnostic computer?"

No, Bauer... simple is the way to go.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well ask yourself this question...Would I rather have a '67 Malibu, or an '07 Malibu? A 396 Rat motor that will pull tree stumps, or a 3.4L engine that will barely pull a string out of a cat's ass? Granted I know the 67 would be costly to operate, but it would be much easier to operate on.
      Last edited by John; 04-27-2007, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Hey, Bauer, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it!

Comment

Re: A sparky subject.....

Originally posted by Bauer

I think this will be the last time that I buy a bike that is older than me (ill be 21 in June, bike is 27) But ill have to give it the credit that it has been one heck of a learning experience.

Thanks for the help. [/B]

Ditto on the "you can fix it yourself". Ya buy a late model bike and you are "just like everyone else". I always have people migrate to my "prehistoric" XS at rallies to check it out. Sticks out, different, dosen't look like all the other bikes. You fixed it, only cost ya a little time. Now you have the peace of mind and confidence that it is gonna run right, and you did it. I have 4 cars, ranging from 1975 to 2002, Can you guess which one I would rather work on? Try not to get to discouraged, XS11's are cool.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

- - - older than me

Hi Bauer,
            when I was 21 that was my thought too.
            "Oh for a bike that isn't older than I am"
            Now that I am pushing 70 my thought is "Oh for my 1932 KSS Velocette that I sold for a pittance when I was young and took no thought for the future and that would now be worth a fortune."
            I'd be the last to say that age brings wisdom but it certainly makes one recognise one's past mistakes.
            Fred Hill, S'toon.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Prom, I wouldnt go so far as to say I could fix it anywhere, unless you know a magic trick to disguise my 100pound 4 drawer craftsman tool box as a saddle bag.

But I get your drift. I guess I never looked at it that way before.
              Bauer
              1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
              Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
              1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
              Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

you would be surprised what you can accomplish with the oem tool kit in a pinch. I usually bring some tools along with me when on the road
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

old bikes...

A good friend of mine has a 2 year old HD. Its a nice touring bike. he just added a VERY nice wide seat with an air bladder. He says it is like riding a lazyboy down the road Anyway, he had gotten an old rat bike with a pan head a few years ago with the idea of "tinkering", but the bike was in running condition so he never did anything.

We have lunch together at work most days and he is living somewhat vicariously via my stories of trial and triumph working on this old rice burner.

I would agree with most of the advice above, relish the fact that you CAN work on it yourself. AND, that there is almost NOTHING on that bike that you CAN'T work on yourself!!!

Eric
                  Eric Roellig
                  1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
                  **Very first bike**
                  Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

unless you know a magic trick to disguise my 100pound 4 drawer craftsman tool box as a saddle bag.
                    Socket set, wrenches, hex wrenches, screw sticks, wire, electrical tape, JBweld, and a pack of float needles... all in a nice, thin ammo can(7.62mm linked)
                    What else does one need?
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

"all in a nice, thin ammo can"

With room to spare for a troll or doll's head!

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own