Replacing Carb Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Carb Boots

I bought a new set of carb boots for my 82 xj1100j on ebay a few months ago because my old ones are starting to look rough. anyway, is this process something i shoud be worried about or is this an hour long qick project? Keep in mind i am as french as they come, so alot of times the "eaisier" something is the longer it takes me. any advise...tips. thanks. -Joe
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

The carb boots (carb to engine) have a plastic 'tube' inner liner. Most of the time people change these out for appearance, but the boots are not really bad.

You can test for leaks through / around the boots by starting the engine and squirting somthing flamable around the boots, like starter fluid, or WD-40 (the aresol is highly flamable) and if you get a short rise in RPM then you have a leak. Also check the clamps first to make sure they are snugged up correctly. Make sure to go gently on this, as you don't want the spray to be getting in through the intake side and making the RPMs climb.

Suggest you use the Search feature (tab at top left of your screen) and look for carb removal. Several techniques discussed, none of them difficult. If you spray something on the inside of the carb boots, like WD-40, it will be easier to slide the carbs back into the boots, making re-install go that much faster.

Keep in mind the XJ has a choke cable instead of a choke lever; you will need to unhook the choke cable as well as the throttle cable to remove the XJ carbs.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
    X