No announcement yet.

2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after looking again, 1st is wallered out, but 4th looks okay. probably end up doing 1, 2, 4 &5
    Yamaniac
    '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
    '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
    '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
    '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

No, the stock rings aren't available any more, but I see them on Ebay occasionally. I broke one on my last motor swap also. I could send you one if you need it. I still have a set of pistons from my 78 motor. It will be a few days though since I am leaving town until Sunday. No guarantees on how in spec it is, but the cylinders were still well within... so assuming they were also. I didn't actually measure the gaps.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I think you'd be better off getting a transmission from someone, like Andreas Weiss. You're looking at about $4-500 to replace all those gears, and if you replace one, you have to replace the one that it meshes with, so basically replacing evey gear but two in the trans.

Comment

Yamaha Invoice (March 20, 2007): Part Number/ Description / Price
          2H7-18511-00-00 / Fork, Shift / $58.96
          2H7-17221-01-00 / Gear, 2nd Wheel / $82.41
          2H7-17251-00-00 / Gear, 5th Wheel / $97.82

I was amazed at how little wear it takes for the gears to go bad. I also think the shift fork was money well spent. When I put it back together, everything fit real tight; it's nice to have a solid 2nd gear coming out of corners. Hope this helps. P.S. I back-cut 1st and 4th using a dremmel.

I used a small tube of Permetex gasket maker when re-assembling the side and bottom panels.
          '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
          Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
          '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
          Stan Hutchison

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
            No, the stock rings aren't available any more,

Tod
            Sorry Tod, but that's not Xactly correct. It's the OEM and OS pistons that aren't available, but the ring sets still are in OEM, 1st, & 2nd OS's from BikeBandit/Yamaha!

But, Yamaniac, they are ~$43.00 a set PER PISTON, so for all 4 you're talking $170.00+ for just rings! Once Pro-Flo gets moved into Tenn you should be able to get a complete big bore kit for a bit over $400.00!

I believe it was Ken Talbot that put in 1st OS rings onto OEM pistons, can't remember if he bored to the OS size or what, but his bike has been running fine that way! Do a search, or perhaps he'll chime in with the specifics of what he did which is another possible option!?
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X