2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear

Hi All! I just boughtt an 1982 XJ11 (23,331 miles) with 2nd gear out. Any suggestions on whether the Clymer or Haynes manuals (for XS1100 1978-1981) years are any good for engine or trany work on an 1982 XJ11? Are they worth buying for my model?
    Thanx
    Nathan

I dont know about the haynes or clymers , but a lot of posts and "tech tips" have been written on 2nd gear fix ....

If your stuck after reading up , I'll bet people will offer help .

I have yamaha service manuals anf find they are great to have , but much more detailed help is in the forum here ....to go along with the books ..

tech tips are on the left screen and can run a search also ...

Bob
    1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
    1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

I am wrapping up my 2nd Gear repair and did it pretty much from all the advice on this site. I also used the Yamaha Web Site's parts breakdown for reference. It is daunting, but it can be done.
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

You could probably use some of that, since the engines are pretty similar, for engine disassembly, but that's about it. Nothing electronic or mechanical really matches after the drivetrain. Your local bike shop can get you new Haynes or Clymers manuals for that bike for @ 30 bucks. Actual Yamaha books will be probably double that. (At least mine told me he thinks he can still get the Yamaha ones??)

Your best bet would be to find someone close to kind of guide and help you.. but a manual and this site are the next best thing.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
          Your best bet would be to find someone close to kind of guide and help you.. but a manual and this site are the next best thing.

Tod
          Hey Tod, aren't you relatively close to him out there in Idaho?

Nathan, the NEWER tech tips are NOT linked from the left hand column, you'll want to scroll down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, and then down to the tech tips for repairs, tranny, and you'll find several very helpful threads, complete with photos and such!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry to say neither Haynes or Clymers published a manual for the XJ1100J. While it shares many components and service procedures with the XS 1100s, there are several changes. One of them is the oil level sensor in the tranny pan; the XS uses a pressure sensor but the XJ uses an oil level sensor. Internal tranny parts are the same and the process to do the '2nd gear fix' is the same, but you have to remove the green wire from the sensor to remove the tranny cover, a step not included in the XS 11 manuals.

I suggest you go to ken Talbot's web page which outlines just about everything you will need to know about the tranny fix:

http://rctvonline.net/~xs11/

You can get exploded views from Yamaha's parts page at:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/parts/home.aspx

Do a search on XJ Manuals and you will come across Rob Mill's (aka rockjoc) name....he put many XS and the XJ manual on a CD and gets a very reasonable price for them. i would contact him to see if has any still available.

Guys who have done this fix more than once can get it done in around 4 hours, I took most of a day when I did mine but also fit a new exhaust system at the same time so it took longer. 6 to 8 hours for a first time is about average.

I also did mine without removing the engine. Check past threads on this, many recommend, and it is easier, to work on the tranny with the engine out of the bike. In particular, putting the shift forks back in can be a pita if you do not remove the engine, but it can be done!

Good luck. It isn't as bad a job as it may seem. Just make sure to check everything whil you have the tranny apart; I did the 2nd gear fix in 2002 but now my 1st gear is giving me fits, should have changed all the forks and looked at 1st at the same time. Now I have to open it up again.....
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I just repaired my XJ1100 2nd gear. From start to finish, it took about 5 hours. I bought new gears (2nd and 5th) from Yamaha and a new shift fork.

The repair thread is pretty good...Hmm, it's great. Just follow the steps. I used a fork lift and hung the bike like a fish. I backed the bike into the fork lift, tied lifting straps to engine case guard and up it came. Be careful, you'll break your tail light and reflector when it comes vertical. Ask me how I know. I would remove them. Since most folks don't have a fork lift you could use a wench, chain hoist, etc. When it's vertical, everything is at eye level, which makes it easy to work on.

I had one problem; removing the counter shaft. You may have to use a screw driver as a pry bar and push the primary shaft to the right to get some clearance to swing out the counter shaft.

If you start this project , have problems, or want to discuss the process, call me at 713-306-3494. I just did this repair last month. And it's fantastic, Shifts great.
              '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
              Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
              '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
              Stan Hutchison

Comment

Not trying to hijack, but does $62 and $73 sound reasonable for 2nd and 5th gear wheels? Anyone bought from Yama dealer? What are their prices?
                Last edited by Yamaniac; 04-25-2007, 03:52 PM.
                Yamaniac
                '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

I wouldnlt say it was reasonable, but that is about right. Thievin' ba$tard$.

Comment

good call John. should have used... in the ballpark others have paid... Am I understanding correctly that the new gears are undercut or at least different from the gears that are in our machines now?
                    Yamaniac
                    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Yes, from I've read here from members that have bought new ones, they are under cut. Have you tried an alternative source? I have found some good prices from some of the parts wholesalers that have ads in the back of some of the motorcycle magazines.

Comment

nope. priced them at mrcycles and bikebandit. mrcycles had the prices I quoted. Not ready to do it yet anyway. just trying to figure out how much it is gonna cost me and maybe shop the best prices.
                        Yamaniac

Comment

Hey Yamaniac,

Hate to burst your bubble, but if your 2nd gear is gone, your 1st may not be far behind, as Jerry posted recently, and is going to have to go back in to fix those, the 1st and 4th gear pairs. So..your costs may have doubled when you think about that?

The dremmel fix may be looking better by now, eh?
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think John ended up doing three or four gears while we had it apart. Any that showed any signs of wear anyway. Might as well, since you have it apart... only takes a little more to bevel the others while you're in there.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I don't know whether it's gone or not. I've never had the bike running. it was a parts bike until I decided to make it chopperesque and I have it torn down to every nut and bolt. figured since I knew nothing about the bike, I wasn't gonna chance any of it. I'm planning on doing the fix (like GNEPIG) where you install a washer behind the end bolt and shim your whole gear cluster over a few MM's. Hate to buy all new gears and shift forks but I've checked 2nd and 5th and they are hurting. Bob Jones was telling me one day that those forks bend pretty easily, and each time you hit those false nuetrals, it slowly bends more and gets worse. new forks, new gears, several Benji's later and your good, until you do a 5K drop on the clutch and watch Sh*t explode.

Now that i have officially hijacked this thread.... Can you still get stock rings for our motors. was gonna big bore it, but figured I'd run the guts out of it the way it was first. but, broke a dang ring when tearing it down.
                              Yamaniac

Comment

Working...
                              X