Electrical gremlin...need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical gremlin...need help

Hello, I am getting my 79 xs1100F back together again, after many mods/upgrades. Major ones were the 1179 big bore, RS mikuni carbs, final drive mod.
    Anyway, the bike has been running great, but I had not put my Windjammer fairing back on. I put it back on this week and my aux PIAA lights do not work. If I jiggle the the wire connection where the harness connects to the fairing, I will get power to my PIAA aux lights, but my headlight will go out and both turn signal indicator lights will come on. If I jiggle again, headlights will come back on, but power to my PIAA aux lights will cut out.
    The PIAA lights are wired from the fused aux terminal under the fuse box. I have done the fuse box fix. I have cleaned and used dielectric grease on all the connectors I could find. I have eliminated the reserve lighting device.
    It is either one or the other, but not both. They worked before, no problems. It is driving me crazy! Also, I am using the same ground(inside the Windjammer fairing) on my PIAA lights that I use for my power outlet. Power outlet(for my radar detector) works fine. I am not good with electrical problems. Any thoughts are appreciated.

completely unrelated, but we would love another thread about your carb swap.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Try putting a second ground wire from the fairing harness inside the fairing to a ground on one of the mount bolts that holds it down. The ground on that fairing is a single wire, and may not carry the current needed for the lights. I've always put a second ground from inside to a mount bolt if I add anything inside the fairing.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

grounding issue?

generally when light swap over like you are describing it tends to be a grounding issue. I have on occasion had to move grounds to different locations to help issues. Cars, trucks and one motorcycle.
        Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
        S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
        1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Working...
        X