Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner of 79 XS1100

Hello all,
    I am a new owner of a 1979 yamaha xs 1100. I recently purchased the bike on ebay and unfortunately the bike was not in as good as condition as described. I have started to work on the bike and have a few immediate concerns.

The fuse block has been removed and 4 fuses are directly jumpered to the wires, the fifth wire pair has no fuse. Is there a CBMMA fix that is safer then dangling fuses? A low cost fuse block somplace?

The exhaust is a poor cluge that was spray painted silver, it has Honda mufflers clamped and taped onto a very rusted set of 2 into 1 pipes. Any recommendations for a replacement set of pipes? I will not be able to get the old pipe to pass. I do not think I can afford the $350 that I found for a new set. Also will pipes from other years fit this bike?

The gas tank is rusted inside. What is the best way to fix this? I have read of Kreem for cleaning and sealing the tank as well as the por15 site has a process as well. Is one better then the other? Is there a better (cheap) alternative?

The bike is also leaking oil from underneath on the left side. I will try to localize the leak.

Well these are the immediate concerns. There are many more but I can only deal with a few things at a time. I wanted to get this bike running for the summer as I am already in the process of tearing down a 1977 xs750 for restoration. I guess this will go on hold until I can get the 1100 running well. The significant other is non too happy.

Any help and or input is greatly appreciated and welcomed. I will also be searching the site extensively for additional info.
    Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    Owner of:
    1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
    140 mains
    45 pilot jets
    Floats at 24mm
    Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Welcome to the site. Concrats on aquireing your XS. On the left side of your screen you'll find a list of area's to XSplore. Includeing the search feature at the top of your screen. Just about all of the answers to the questions that you've asked should be able to be found useing these features. Also, if you shout the cry for help going over your bike, I'm sure that there are some members not too far from you. Any XScuse for a ride is a good one. especially if it concerns an XS.
    If you do a search for the fuse block, You'll find that alot of members have done an upgrade to the spade type fuses. Including myself. It's not that difficult.
    Your leak may be from your neutral light switch.
    There are a few different kinds of exaust systems available. Personal preferance.
    Remember, the significant other is also known as SWMBO.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed. If momma aint happy, No one's happy.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

gas tank rust removal

Here is the cheapest and easiest way to remove the rust from your fuel tank.

http://650rider.com/Content/pid=6.html
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

rman,

I'm also in Stroudsburg. Where are you? I can come over next weekend and give you a hand.

Comment

Hello all,
          Thanks for the input so far. I searched the site and found a good way to set up the fuse block. Someone used a set of inline mini-fuse holders mounted to the old fuse block, (Epoxy or glue I guess) This looks like a nice fix for under $20.

I found the oil leak last night. There is a sensor under the left side, I thought it was an oil pressure sensor but it may be a neutral light switch as stated by Czekus21. The sensor looks like a small x was punched into the side. Like the tip of a Phillips screwdriver. I will try to use JB weld to fix the leak but may need to replace it.

The exhaust pipes are two 2:1 and are badly rusted. I am considering sandblasting them and painting with high temp paint. But another fellow XSer has a set of pipe and has offered to sell them. I am considering this option, this is not the CBMMA way but it will probably look nicer then my blasted and painted pipes.

Randy,
          I am actually in Brodheadsville but have a Stroudsburg mailing address. Thanks for the offer to help. I hope I can find the time to take you up on it. I will lay in a stock of your favorite beverage when we get together.

All and any advice is always appreciated.

Ray
          Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
          Owner of:
          1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
          140 mains
          45 pilot jets
          Floats at 24mm
          Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

Working...
          X