Aux Fuel Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux Fuel Mod

Good evening class. The next lesson for Advanced XSive modifications 1196 will concern going overboard on fuel capacity. I have done just that. ...probably because I'm "over bored" yawn...

I decided to install a different aux fuel system in lieu of my old luggage rack...gravity feed...boat tank. The old system worked but had a couple disadvantages:

1- It took up a lot of room on my luggage rack...room I could use to carry other things on long road trips...things like...THE KITCHEN SINK!

2- 20 lbs of fuel perched that high really made the bike top heavy (duh!) Not a problem at speed but doing slow parking lot manuevers was tricky.

Since I installed a Vetter trunk and LED tail/brake lights (thank you RAY!) I had no luggage rack to mount an aux fuel cell. Besides I wanted to get the center of gravity down with the added 20 lbs of fuel and the only way to do that is lower it. That is exactly what I did.

I bought a 3.6 gallon fuel cell from Summit Racing...the kind they use on dragsters. It is vented, made of ABS, and the perfect size. I mounted it to my saddle bag frame behind the rear wheel. I kinda copied a design I saw for the Kawy Concourse.

I also added a 12v fuel pump and a console mounted fuel gage. The fuel pump is bolted to the back of the aux fuel cell frame I fabricated (read welded). The whole system is very slick. All I have to do it release the fuel line quick connect and unplug the wiring harness and the entire aux fuel system comes off in a modular fashion. It is very easy to run with or without the added fuel capacity ...which ever I choose.

This system will bring my total fuel capacity up to 8.7 gallons. I figure 8 or 8.25 willl actually be useable. So I should be able to make 275 to 300 miles between fill ups depending on conditions. Of course the limiting factor will be my bladder.

Here's a couple shots of the tank labeled.

The 4 pole connector brings power to the pump and to the sending unit to return to the fuel level gauge in the console.

The fuel pump is a low pressure (7-8 psig) firewall mount type like you'd get at any auto parts store. I simply bolted it to the back of the fuel cell frame. When activated it pumps fuel from the cell into the main tank. Just spliced the aux fuel line into the main petcocks just like I did on the old gravity feed boat system.

The console is a Cycle Sound for a Vetter. I just didn't install a stereo system. I covered the speaker holes with a couple of 5.25 inch aluminum plates and installed the fuel gauge in the space where the player radio would normally go. While I was at it I installed a clock and a voltmeter. These gauges are Autometer Ultralites.

I installed the fuel pump toggle switch in the same hole the antenna would mount on the Cycle sound. All of wiring goes through an ignition relay...except the clock which is a constant 12v source.

Now when I cross central Nevada...you kow...that 190 miles from Tonopah to Caliente ... I won't be sweating bullets about fuel

It wasn't cheap but the way I ride ...especially the western US...it will be very nice to never give fuel a second thought. Besides ... it should allow me to make much better time on long road trips only having to stop every 270 miles or to pee...which ever occurs first. You can bet it will be the latter .

However...I have read about some hard core butt burners that wear a "Depends" just to keep from stopping! .......

And that deserves a two and a half cactus yell...YUCCA...YUCCA...YUCK!

Nice job. You have finnaly completed what a lot of us were thinking about. Will we see this setup this weekend?
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
      Nice job. You have finnaly completed what a lot of us were thinking about. Will we see this setup this weekend?
      Yeah...if ya look quick

Comment

It sounds like a great setup. I just have to caution you on waiting until your main tank is almost empty before turning the pump on. I had an old pickup with a tank in the bed that I used a pump setup like this to fill the tank behind the seat. I would sometimes forget about the pump being on... and I would merrily be driving along with fuel running out my filler cap all down the side of the truck. Gas spewing out OUR filler caps... would give a new meaning to the term "Great balls 'o fire!!" lol.

Does the pump keep the fuel from syphoning back to the aux tank?

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Maximan, nice job!
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

"I'm pretty disappointed."

Clean garage.., immaculate bike... Nothing for me to make fun of nor comment on.
            Oh, nice speedo... 8,000 miles. You do ride that thing once in a while, don't cha?
            Very professional job, Maximan. Truly impressive.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Aux Fuel

I also, just recently, got my aux fuel cell up and running. It is a gravity feed 4 gallon tank mounted inside a fiberglass luggage trunk. I installed the on/off/res petcocks from MikesXS and gravity feed the four gallons FIRST, then turn on my main tank(81 6.4 gallon). This way, I get rid of the bulky 4 gallons first, then have my fuel gauge for the remaining 6.4 gallons.

Comment

Tod

I'm well aware of the overflow potential...thanks anayway. Yes the pump acts as a check valve.

Prom

I have put 25000 miles on that bike in about 2.5 years. I put the new speedo on after I rebuilt the engine a few months ago. The actual mileage is about 30,000.

Papa

I used to have a luggage rack mounted tank. It worked well. It was just top heavy and it took up much needed space for long trips. So this was my alternative solution.

Comment

Max I've seen Boeings with less instruments, guaranteed to get a curious crowd standing round those sort of bikes down here. Hope like hell the rear drive will handle it, probably best to cruise Nevada in 4th gear, just joking Classy setup there.

Comment

Comment

Hehehe...I'm not finished. In the future expect:

GPS Navigation
                      Audiovox Electronic Cruise control
                      DVD entertainment system
                      Cell based internet setup
                      Air conditioning and heat
                      porta-potty

Hmmm...I still can't figure out how I'm gonna add those doors and roof!

BTW someone ask em earilier to day why I would need that much fuel. This guy has obviously never ridden from Caliente to Tonopah. It's 180 of nothing but beautiful rugged Nevada range land and desert mountains. Well beyond the reach of Zilla's OEM tank.

But the other reason is seat time. When your having to stop for 15 - 20 minutes every 130 miles for fuel it limits the miles perday one can make. Now ...with the addition of the fuel tank...my seat time will not be limitied by gasoline but by urine.

Comment

Wow, that's as clean a mod as can be done. Excellent work!!

One day, when I grow up, I'll actually ride enough to need an aux tank.
                        80 XS1100SG
                        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Does it handle any different at high speed? Also, do you have the aprox weight of the entire setup with fuel?
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

The fuel cell full weighs about 20 lbs (2.6 gallons). The frame weighs about 7-8 lbs with the fuel pump...so less than 30 lbs total.

It handles much better than my old fuel setup with 3 gallons on the luggage rack.

Comment

If you make your next mod a catheter then even urine would be no excuse for stopping.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X