fuel in air box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel in air box?

Having a problem with fuel backing up into the air box, coming from 3 and 4 carb. Took tank off to do body work. When I replaced the tank, accidentally crossed fuel lines. I understand that this problem is trivial and ridiculous, but when the bike is running, fuel is not firing in 3 and 4 carb but is running back into air box. My fuel lines run as such: The front two petcocks are hooked into eachother with no vaccum, the back ones criss cross to the two carbs. Seeking suggestions as to why the 3 and 4 carb are not firing correctly, or at all.

while doing that body work, maybe some dirt got into the fuel lines or when switching the lines around it flush some old crud from the full tank , into those lines and causing the float seat not to seat down and flooding the airbox..

Comment

clean the float pin seats and the rest of the carbs while you are at it. Your petcocks need new seals too. That is why fuel is leaking into your airbox.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

The fuel leaking into the air box is ultimately the fault of the float needle and seats. What year is your bike? If it is 80 or newer, then check the O rings that seal the seats to the body of the carb. If they are bad then it will leak everytime, but your condition sounds to me like you have a float that is either stuck open, or has filled with fuel and has sunk. You can identify the culprit by removing the bottom of the airbox, turn on the fuel, and then look up inside there to see which of the tubes the fuel is leaking out of.

Comment

consensise says float needle issue. thanks for help. little upset that i have to take apart carbs. was about to go for ride on beautiful day up here. o well. great suggestion about opening air box see what carb leaking. thanks

Comment

Working...
          X