picked up my bike last night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picked up my bike last night!

i posted on here a while ago with some pics of a bike i was gonna possibly be getting

well, i got it last night and took my first ride to bring her home

went well and had a great time

heres some pics of it right now before i clean it up, shes real dirty!

its a 1980 xs1100sg with 21403 miles

have to fix a few things

the front fork seals leak, valve cover gasket, front master cylinder leaks a tiny bit he said, and i think the clutch slips a tiny bit when im accelerating hard

i have all the parts, he already had them and gave them all to me

it has a drop in k&n already as well

let me know what you think and if you have any ideas

oh yea, i also have some superbike bars and new grips i think im gonna throw on today too
    1980 XS1100SG - almost done

I only wish mine was that "dirty" when I got it.

Looks great! Shoud clean up really well. And best of all, you even rode it home!

Always glad to see another one on the road! Enjoy!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Looks like you found a nice one there, and parts to boot. Would be interested in hearing about your superbike bars install. I'm thinking of giving them a try. Also noticed that your horns are mounted differently than my SG. Could you possibly post a close up pic of the horns as well as your handlebar change? Have fun working on it!
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

a very nice bike there all original pipes as well .....

Comment

Its a beauty !! Looks totaly stock ...Like it !!

When I did my valve cover I put a new gasket on , no sealer .It leaked . Got another gasket and used yamabond . leak gone ...
          They say you can flatten out the valve cover by sanding it with a surface plate . Glass will work with 400 to 500 grit sandpaper .
          The rubber/steel plugs by the cam can get chewed up too. The yamabond took care of that issue too ...

Have fun !

Bob
          1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
          1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Glad to see another SG up and running! I've got superbike bars on mine, and I love them. I'm also 6'4", so I'm not leaning too far forward. My horns are mounted the same way...got rid of the stock bracket and bolted them to the bracket mounting holes. Looks cleaner, IMHO.
            Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
            '80 XS1100SG (mine)
            '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

Oil leak

I would bet you money that the valve pan gasket isn't leaking! Most likely its the cam tensioner Their is a plug in the end of it and the oil will leak out and blow back. Check that close first might save you a little work.
              Doug
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

i think your right about that plug

i saw a tiny drip of oil coming out of it earlier when it was running, warm, and i was just checking **** out

i saw a drip coming out of the black plug directly in front of the motor

what do i do about that?

i checked the valve cover gasket area and it seemed pretty dry heres some more pics

the horns, and the new bars

Comment

Cam chain tensioner plug is still availble from Yamaha. Easy to just pop a new one in.
                  Any problem with cable lengths or mirrors with the new bars?
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

i had to adjust the clutch cable after the bars were installed

it was slipping really bad when i first took it for a spin after the install

so i screwed the adjuster on the clutch cable in (righty tighty) a bit, works great, and seems to grab better then before i switched bars! i was nervous about the clutch being bad, but now i dont think it is

it does seem like when i turn the bars to the right, the idle goes up a tiny bit so im gonna have to make sure the cable isnt binding or anything, but i didnt check if it happened with the stock bars

i drove it around, and when its in gear, it doesnt affect the bike at all, but it still could be a problem so i want to take it easy on it for a bit and make sure its all good

i only took one small ride so i didnt have time to dial the mirrors in, but visability was low on that first ride

the bike isnt legal yet, so im not gonna go on long cruises, but ive been thinking about some new mirrors anyway

im gonna look into that plug

i looked at it today, it seems to be my problem, i think ill order it

Comment

Nice pics thanks for posting looks good! cant wait till youre done cleaning her up!

Comment

She looks to be in pretty good shape. good find
                        Rob
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Nice bike

So what did she cost you? Always curious what such a nice bike goes for.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

ive still got some cleaning to do

i really want to change the pipes

im thinking about doing a fatboy exhaust swap and maybe individual k&n filters

the thing that scares me is the jetting issues

edit: i got the bike for 650 bucks, im pretty sure thats a great deal

Comment

changed my oil today

had a great time changing my oil today

went with a k&n filter and some gtx 20w-50

took her out for a spin and it feels like its running and shifting nicer now

my old oil and filter were looking real nasty, im sure she appreciates the fresh lube!

next is my gear oil

i saw some stuff at the auto parts store, and i thought i remember hearing that each gear oil area takes 700ml

but im gonna do more research before i jump in that area

Comment

Working...
                              X