Fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seals

I would like any info or advice you could share about installing new fork seals on my SX 1100 special (1979) Are there any tricks of the trade that I should know? Thanks in advance.
    Ron Moss
    1979 xs 1100 yamaha special (sold)
    1984 honda v65 magna (sold)
    1984 vtr 250 intercepter
    1975 250 TL Honda
    2006 Kawsaki Concours
    1979 R100RT BMW

Hi Ron. Check the following out for a generic guide to fork seal replacement. It's not for the XS, but most m/c front suspension are very similar.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/forkseal.html

Hopefully, you have a service manual for your XS? If not, then I strongly recommend purchasing one. I think Clymer still has one in print, but they come up on Ebay quite regularly. Factory is best, followed by Haynes, and then Clymer. Or, there is a list member who sells a CD with service manual, parts fiche, wireing diagram, etc for a very reasonable price. Sorry, having tough times with my machine here and lost his email addy.. again!!

Anyway, back to your question. Nothing real difficult about changing fork seals. I found it best to drain the oil before removing them from the m/c. CAREFUL when removing the fork caps or you might play "chase the flying fork cap". Once the oil is drained, remove the allen head bolt from the bottom of the fork lower. This is best accomplished with an air or electric impact wrench. If you don't have one, you must find some way to stop the damper rod inside the fork lower from turning. You can use a long bolt with a nut welded on it, not sure of the size. Or, you can use a wooden dowl, which is the method I used. Taper the end slightly and then tap it into the damper rod, hold it with vice grips. To drive the new seals inplace, I used a piece of black abs drain pipe. I think either 1 1/2 or 2 inch was the correct size.

You might also consider at this time to replace the fork springs. 20 years can take it's toll on them and new ones can make you think you have a new ride under you.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

seals

Ron,go to the xs-xj 1100 sites search engine,top of page ,far right I think...type in seals....will give you lots of advice.....Will

Comment

Working...
      X