heat sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat sink

What would be a good heat sink to fasten to the bottom of my hard bags (fiberglass), problem is my muffler (supertrap) is about a half inch away from the bag. The muffler approaches at an angle so that the area where its this close is maybe an inch or so... I was thinking maybe aluminum plate?
    Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

foil

as many layers of aluminum foil will do.....did this to the headers on an S-10 truck
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

No, not a heat sink

Hi Bruce,
      wrong thought! A heat sink does just that, it soaks up heat. If you bolt a slab of aluminum to the bottom of your bag it will make the bag hotter, not cooler.
      What you want is a heat shield. Say a sheet of 22 ga or so polished aluminum or even stainless steel, spaced off the bottom of the bag by perhaps a 1/2" on pillar bolts. This will reflect heat away from your bags rather than sucking it onto them. Or how about mounting the heat shield onto your Supertrapp instead?
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Stand-off

Sort of a stand-off shield on the bag with spacers between the plate and the bag, say a quarter inch or so shiny stainless plate, I can see that working.....the supertrapp is stainless probably easier to mount to the bag...Thanks XSChop and Fredintoon for the input....! Xcellent ideas!
        Bruce
        Bruce Doucette
        Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
        X