new member with some ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member with some ????

hi I'm a new member and I'm not to good with these forums yet so if someone could point me in the right direction or help me out. I have a 79 XS1100 standard that runs it dumping gas,It runs bad until you hit 3200 rpms than it runs great. So please if anyone can help in anyway that would help out big time.

Welcome to the site!!

Sound like you are about to become well acquainted with your carbs!

Could be a stuck float, bad needle seals, or a myriad of other things.

First thing to do is yank the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning. Check all the rubber parts and make sure they are still intact. Replacement innards are still available.

There is a wealth of info here about the carbs, as they are the most problematic thing about the bike. Search the forums for leaking carbs and you will see literally hundreds of posts about it.

As well as that, there are the tech tips (to your left) and the maintenence and repair sections of the forum here as well.

If you get stuck, feel free to ask for help, as well.

You may reach a point where you will want to denounce the creators of the Mikuni BSIII. It's only natural. If curses were physical, I'm sure they'd be covered in bruises (if not dead) by now.

Once you get them set right you will see a world of difference in the way your bike runs.

Good luck!!!

And hey, post a pic! We devour them like donuts here.
    Last edited by JWSanders; 04-21-2007, 07:52 AM.
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Does your bike still have the octopus valve ( runs the fuel via vacume )? Are your petcocks set to prime? Is the plumbing correct? These are things that you may want to check as well as pullin the carbs. Check the float adjustment. While the carbs are out, Are they jetted correctly? Are there any modifications that have been done to the bike? after market exaust, pod filters, etc??? This info will better the advice that you'll recieve on the correct adjustments that you need.
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

79 XS1100 standard

79F has the BS34 II
        80+ has the III's

welcome to XSland

you may want to check your oil for gas.
        one or more of the float needle/valve sounds stuck

Got manual???
        makes maintenance much easier to follow.

mro

Comment

3200rpm

I've had that 'coming on song' thing once

It turned out to be the pick up wires that were broken, as the vac advance turned it brought the broken wires back in contact and the old girl picked up her skirt and ran.

Scott, the pick up (Ignition pick ups under your left side crank cover) wires are special flexi wires with rubber insulation and multi strand core to allow them to flex as the vac advance turns, they still break though, but they break inside the rubber insulation so they look OK from the outside.

Try gently pulling the wires, if they stretch then the core inside is broke inside, they can be soldered easily and resleeved.

One more thing I did with them to help in the future was to remove the wire clamp (the one fixed to the ali crank case not the ones on the steel timing plate) and bin it, this allows the wires a lot bigger arc to bend in.

As the other lads have said it sounds like a carb problem but the pick up wires are so easy to check before you pull out the carbs, I found it was the wires after removing the carbs for the 5th time

Tom
          Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
          X