Erractic Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erractic Idle

I had noticed a noise from #1 carb. i listened harded and it sounded like the slid was just dropping. I decieded to rebuild the carbs. I took some advise from this site and follwed the book. After installing, the carbs, I could not get them to sync. I had a set of carb sticks and tried to no aval. I took the bike to a mechanic and he has tried. It is better but still not right. He installed a Dyno-Jet kit and K7N filter. This was suggested by Marriam Cycle in KS. Picked it up last night and the top end is great. When starting the bike this morning, I did not even use the choke. The RPMs went to about 4. Sat there a bit then dropped off to about 1 or so then died. Started again and then killed it as I went to take off. Could not get it to start, had to get going to work. Took the Durango. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Charles

I think you are running rich!! I would NOT install anything but factory MIC jets in a carb. The #1 may have a bad diaphram. Go to the MAIN xs11 page, and check the "tech tips" for the carb repair. There are some things that can be done with a diaphram to help keep it alive for a few more years.
    The jetting may be something else. IF you paid a mechanic to fix it, and it's not working correctly, you need to take it back and talk with him. Let him know what it is and isn't doing, so he has an idea on where to look. A good mech will try to work with you, but he may not make you happy if he finds the problems are deeper, and will cost more, than you planned on.
    Good luck.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Charles,

I hope the mechanic didn't make things worse with the Dyno-Jet kit, cause it also involves enlarging the small vent/equalizer opening in the bottom of the slide cylinder, to allow a faster transfer of air so that the slide will rise faster?? I would be surprised if the mechanic didn't inspect the vacuum slides for pinholes in the rubber diaphragm??

LIke Ray said, you can do repairs, but fortunately, your model/year of carbs uses the larger slides, and replacment slides/diaphragms are available from aftermarket sources for modest prices....vs. OEM! See Partsnmore as well as MikesXS...650 parts, but the slides are the same part #!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X