Coil mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil mod

Well Ive been thinking again. Usually when that happens something gets destroyed. I was wondering if instead of replacing coil wires by splicing new ones inside the coil itself, why cant we just put two terminals on the outside of the coil so that we can replace the wires without splitting the coils again. I have plenty of old distributor caps that I could rob the terminals off of. What does everyone think? As long as I could get the proper resistance and properly seal the terminals against things like water intrusion I think it would work.

<--Hey, one post for every cc
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

brilliant
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

There'd be a lot more work to rig detachable leads, rubber caps etc... easy to do with resin/ epoxy, all sealed and done, you'd probably only need detachable leads if you were into sometimes changing spark lead colours or something, or if you don't want to change the leads when getting new coils, but you wouldn't be bothering to make a detachable stock XS11 coil if that was the case(getting new coils)

Comment

Probable less expensive and easier to use MikesXS.com coils. They are replaceable.
        I put Dynacoils on my E and they are replaceable, but cast a bit more than MikesXS.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

are mike's xs coils drop in replacements?
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

The XS coils are sealed, and if you do the wire replacement properly with a good epoxy, there's no reason they won't work indefinitely. I did mine back in '03 with copper core Accel wire and no problems in 20K miles. (insert crossed fingers here).

I believe that with Mikes XS coils, you need to do some bracket fabrication or turn them 90 degrees, check the MODS section

Comment

Like you said, there is no reason that the coil shouldn't last indefinitely. (unless is cracks or breaks or something like that) Wires on the other hand do not last. That is why putting the terminal on the outside of the coil just like a distributor would allow you to replace your wires like your favorite car. The question is to me, is it worth it when you can just cut the coil and replace the wires when their time comes. he plug wires on my Dad's 79F are hard, really hard. They are no longer pliable at all. The other day one of the caps came off. I could just put it back on but if this becomes a normal occurrence because of bad wires I would rather replace the wires.
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Well, then, replace the wires. I doubt you'll have to replace them again sooner than 10-15 years??

Comment

NGK makes a waterproof compression splice kit for plug wires. You'd still have a very short length of the original wire right next to the coil, but that shouldn't cause any issues.

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=17214

$20 for four, not a bad deal in my book.
                  2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                  1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

The following is kind of a quick fix--temporary fix, that I did to get a little more life from a couple plug wires--a couple years ago that shoulda been replaced then :> I took the necessary length of plastic fuel line--split/cut the full length of the "new creative insulation" and then wrapped it around the plug wire; and then took several teeny-tiny zip ties and cinched up on the outside every 2-3 inches. Those wires are still working fine. My 7 1/2 gallon Concours gas tank hides my beautiful improvisational handiwork.
                    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Hey Hobby,

I could be wrong, but I think the OEM coil/plug leads were insulated with mostly rubber, but possibly not much SILICONE in it? The new wires you can get now have silicone mixed in so that makes them much more durable and heat resistant, so that they will probably stay pliable for many many years, so doing the replacement wire fix on your dad's coils will probably be a ONE TIME thing, and less work than trying to afix terminals? JMHO

SO...just replace the wires with good silicone insulated ones, and leave plenty of slack for those 1/4" trimmings that may be needed every few years for the caps...IF you don't get them sealed well!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Marvelous. I did not know that today's wires were that much better. Looks like I will scratch this mod and just replace the wires. Thanks guys.
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                        X