Main Switch Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Switch Questions

This evening, I swapped over the main switch from my non-running '79F to my '81LH - appears that some @#$%$ attempted to jimmy the lock cylinder on the LH as the key will no longer fully engage the lock.

Since the ONLY difference in the Main Switches is the addition of the Hazard Lights on the 80-81 models (4-wires instead of 3-wires), I swapped the wiring assemblies to make the 79F switch plug-n-play.

So now I'm wanting to repair the damaged lock and need assistance.

I've read thru Prometheus' post on re-keying a lock but I just can't quite figure out how to remove the inner cylinder from the outer drum. Are there any picture tutorials for the literary impaired?

I'm sorry, Brian...
    To save space, I guess I deleted my expertly drawn graphic representations from "Photobucket" which is why they no longer appear.
    If I read you correctly, you have the assembly in your hands and can see it's rear end (no comments, please).
    The last gateway, you should be able to move using a small screwdriver or such. Once this slides out of it's recess, the inner cylinder can then be pulled out.(if I remember correctly.)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

yep, assembly in hands - lower portion of switch removed (fork lock, contact plate & wires, contacts, etc.).

don't quite "see" the last gateway - do I use a paperclip, etc in the hole in the outer drum to operate the gateway while gently pulling the assembly out the rear?

talk about setting one's self up for undesired comments

Comment

Prom's real talent lies in the fact that he doesn't need a set up for undesired comments, but he's not above taking the soft lob for a homer.
        Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
        78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
        02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_D
          yep, assembly in hands - lower portion of switch removed (fork lock, contact plate & wires, contacts, etc.).

don't quite "see" the last gateway - do I use a paperclip, etc in the hole in the outer drum to operate the gateway while gently pulling the assembly out the rear?

DOH! Got it out! used a small screw driver to depress the retaining gate/clip and pushed the cylinder up thru the top of the drum.

Comment

...wow...I didn't know regular joes like us could do this! Nina has a different key for each lock and I'd love to re-key the other locks to work with the ignition key!
            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
            X