Who here rides w/ a sidecar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here rides w/ a sidecar?

A sidecar just popped up on craigslist here in the Twin cities. I've always thought they looked pretty cool.

It's a good deal but I'm not sure how it changes the geometry of riding (3 wheels instaed of two) much less how it would mount to the frame.

Just feeling out for opinions or pictures.
    81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
    sticky side down!

Me & Marty for sure

and doubtless some others.
    Go for it! Man, the crap you can haul along.
    Riding:- they steer all different, best you practice figure 8s in a deserted car park before you go anywhere. There are sidecar classes. Great, but try finding one near you.
    Mounting it to the bike:- The XS11 has a sturdy enough frame you will not need an expensive subframe. If you buy the sidecar I will tell you how I mounted mine with home made square tube bracketry.
    Necessary changes to the bike:-
    It will be OK without changing anything but it will be better if you reduce the steering trail and the overall gearing.
    XS parts swap like Lego. The least expensive way to reduce trail (move the wheel forward) on a Standard is to swap in a set of Special fork legs, ATE brakes & all. (Standard triple trees on a Special does the same thing.)
    Swap in a Special's 16" rear wheel to lower the gearing.
    Suitability of the sidecar:-
    Don't get too light of a sidecar. For an XS11 a Velorex is OK but marginal. A Cozy is far too frail, light & flimsy. The sidecar should weigh at least 33% of the bike's weight to be safe.
    Fred Hill, S'toon.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Me, but with a Honda CB550

When first starting out chuck a couple or three bags of cement in the sidecar
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I don't have a side car, but an shopping for one now.

I would suggest www.sidecar.com. they have acouple of pdf downloads, including one describing how to set up a sidecar.
        I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Working...
        X