This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One disc as opposed to two....?

One of my calipers is leaking, so I took the pin that holds the line into the leaky caliper and plugged it in to the one line where the two connect then I removed the caliper so I have only one. The braking power is signifigantly less, but is it safe for a few days so long as I am aware of it?

BTW....I will be getting it fixed ASAP.

I doubt anyone is going to tell you it's safe to ride your bike without all the brakes functioning correctly... but it's your personal choice. Also note that in many states non-functioning brake parts will earn you a ticket.

That being said, I rode for a year without rearbrakes but the rear only provides a fraction of what the front brakes provide as far as braking goes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - life is about risk management. Ever little thing that you let go adds up in the bad category and when enough add up, including circumstances that you cannot control such as some idiot running a stop sign, then you have lost.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Well I did a whole summer on one caliper and disc, and I can honestly report, that if you are careful, and practice paying close attention to the difference in braking power, until you know intimately, the reduced braking power, this is a relatively minor issue.

Once I got used to it (a week of riding max), I forgot I was down a caliper, until I reread all my old threads just now, LOL. Ahhh, winter, time to fix thing all up or sell it to another who has the time, resources, and will to do so....Decisions!

Comment

I should comment... but I won't.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

brakes are for pansies.
          http://www.henryism.com

Comment

So ,,, What happens if the last working brake fails ???
            I'd estimate the safety factor for you and other motorist's is null...
            Please pull the bike off the road till its legal ...

Bob
            1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
            1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

I should comment... but I won't.

Ummm, Pro?? You kinda just did! lol.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I don't understand why some folks don't see and understand that ANY bike is a SPORT machine compared to other forms of motorized transport. As a SPORT machine it should be be in tip top shape for use.
                SO the REAL world .... Many can't for any number of reasons keep their bike, a SPORT machine, in "tip top" condition but surely if nothing else when your bike will likely go 100 MPH in short order even when in need of a tune up ... THE BRAKES ARE something that MUST be in TIP TOP condition. Sh*t these bikes have what many will call poor brakes even when all the brakes are working like new. So why go running around on your bike with 1/2 the brakes off line??? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. It's an accident waiting for a place to happen. PARK it until the brakes are repaired.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

i think the first motorcycle race bike had no brakes at all, i think you'll be fine since you are addressing the situtation asap, i guess you have to slow down cause it's not a moped you are riding mister flintstone.
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

well .... a race track is a controlled environment and everyone is going in the same direction. It's safe to say that the brakes on this bike are not in good order. Maybe the one that is left is on it's last legs .. who knows ... In any case complacence breeds contempt. The day will come when that singe brake will be hot and over worked by the weight of the bike when stopping and the user will be a little hot on the throttle and some dummy will pop out of somewhere unexpectedly. To use the bike as is to .. go buy repair parts. to "putt" to the corner store while waiting for parts ... sure .. anyone would do it but to just micky mouse it together for day in and day out on going use is a mistake.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

ok stop riding and get it fixed....are you happy now?
                      besides i bet it still stops better than an average $20,000 harley
                      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly, it seems that I read somewhere that when Harley put their first bike out with front wheel brakes, the Harley Mavens would disconnect them because they said that they were unsafe.
                        "Inquiring minds want to know"

Comment

Hey there Boyat68,

I haven't been around as long as you have, so I don't know WHEN it was that Harley first put front brakes on, but the "Mavens" were regrettably ignorant to the physics of braking, and also didn't know how and when to use them, hence, they were unsafe to THEM!

The front brakes provide at least 65% if not more of the actual braking force on a modern motorcycle, or any motorcycle for that matter! That's why ours has dual discs on the front, to help in stopping our heavy machines! When you hit the brakes hard, most of the weight transfers to the front wheel, and so it's got most of the traction, and the rear can easily lockup if applied to hard!

However, you don't want to apply them too strongly in a turn, under slippery conditions, gravel, sand, water, leaves, etc.! You can stop a bike in a much shorter distance standing on the front brakes than you can locking up the rear and even laying it down....."wrong" old school survival technique!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

brakes

if you have one brake in the front that would be like a xs650 and they stop.
                            drive for your eguiptment and conditions.
                            as ever bill
                            bill hane

Comment

Brakes only slow you down...

That being said, one or two calipers is like going from one bike to a different bike. Everytime you change vehicles or setups you have to learn the new machine. That's all.

The guys here who have stainless steel braided brake lines could say the same about all of us that don't, that we're crazy riding with the reduced braking power!
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                              X