DK leak proof fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK leak proof fork seals

Anybody had any experiences with these "leak proof" seals? In other words, are they worth the extra $$? Ditto for the Leak Proof Pro Moly seals.

Thanks
    Theron
    Yamaniac
    '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
    '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
    '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
    '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

I have them in my 80g. I doubt anything is "leakproof" but they are holding well, even with lotsa air in the forks. My first fork seal job failed cause i had actually polished the sliders to well. On the second try, I left a rougher surface and everything is holding.

What is it with the XS, seems it takes 2 or more tries for everthing. Triple clean, redo the pickup wires, 2 sets of fork seals, 2or more tries on the master cylinder, reset the floats. I guess that is why we love em so much.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Those are the same I have on mine.... no leaks at 30,000 and still going. it's been 7 yrs but a large amount of time included not driving...... have to read the high mileage poll to find out why...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...759#post109759

To me they have been worth it.
      Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
      S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
      1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Nothing beats OEM for fork seals...I've tried "leak proof" and had problems, then finally threw in OEM's from bikebandit and haven't had an issue in years.
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Dale,
          Are you saying they survived flooding?

Webb,

what is polishing the forks too much, please provide a little more detail as to what you did the first and second times.

Should have made this a poll maybe.

Thanks for the input.
          Theron
          Yamaniac
          '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

roger that......... just when I drained the forks they were full of clean oil. So, I just refilled 'em and went from there.

I still believe I was most fortunate on the "after flood" ordeal
            Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
            S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
            1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

I have tried a few different brands of seals, including the 'leakproof' brand, and they weren't. My last set was OEM, from BikeBandit also, and they haven't leaked at all.

Comment

Okay, that's 2 pro, 2 con. Come on guys, need some more opinions!
                Thanks
                Theron
                Yamaniac

Comment

My "leak proof" seals lasted less than one year. I'm now installing OEM!
                  Highlander

Comment

OEM fork seals

I bought the leakproof type and I didn't trust the construction. I bought the OEM brand from Zanotti's and they haven't leaked.

Anything that is as hard to get out as the OEM type has gotta be good.
                    80 XS11 Special

Comment

Purely anecdotal, but I have heard more bad than good about "leakproof" seals. Go with OEM's if you can.
                      Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

The opinions at a bike shop I worked at a few years ago were that Leak Proof brand fork seals were worthless, especially in the long run.

All the mechanics said it is almost always better to go with OEM seals even if they cost a bit more.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X