Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the XS1100 and the XJ750 engine compare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the XS1100 and the XJ750 engine compare?

Would one mount in place of the other? Is one just a larger bore of the other?

Good question. It would make a good sleeper if ya shoehorned it into the 750 frame. Might have some with issues. The drive on the 750 most likely would crater under the power.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I think if I was doing this swap, I'd swap carbs, middle drive, the whole nine yards. Don't know if you'd have to swap in final drive also. XJ... that is 82, right? don't know, but you might have to run pods vs stock airbox. Do some measuring to see if the mounting brackets for the motor are at all similar or if you'll have to make new mounting brackets. Frame width where the oil pan sits is another place to measure.
      Yamaniac
      '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
      '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
      '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
      '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
      '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Hi Marcjs,

I have built a couple of XJ750 choppers and have 5 XS11s. I don't have an XJ750 here to measure, but memory says that the 750 motor is a LOT smaller and lighter than the 11!

XJ750 and XJ650 (both shafty fours!) interchange without much hassle, but I am sure they are not the same size as the XS11.

I can easily lift an XJ750 motor into a frame; the 1100 needs a buddy- Or a lot of cussin' to lift in!

The XJ1100 and XS1100 motors are quite similar, and share the mounts; Is this where the confusion comes from?

I used an XS1100 SG 16" wheel on the back of one of the XJ750 (Seca?) chops; even that was a pain!

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
        X