Xs1100 Rear Wheel removal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xs1100 Rear Wheel removal ?

Have not tried this yet , The service manual shows a few tools to preload the rear suspension , with a cable and a leverage tool.
    I have no tools with my bike and wonder what might be a substitute?? Probably pretty simple but want to get everything I need set up !!

Thanks
    Bob
    1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
    1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Well, Bob,

There really is no substitute for the wire tool, but what I did was remove the two upper shock bolts, that allows you to move the swingarm and gain clearance from the exhaust pipes to pull the axle out.

Comment

lookin to buy some?

If you might want to buy a kit that is for that bike.... there is a guy on here that does alot of the parts bike buys and he is always a good place to start looking for something in particular.

PM a guy named andreashweiss (look him up in the member tab) and ask him if he might have one.

That'd be a great place to start.

Or find someone close to you that has a standard and build your own after checking theirs out.

I bet you have some owners close to you.

I am too far from Vermont to know anyone personally or I would just hand you off to them.

Mark
      Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
      S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
      1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys .
        I would like to get the tool kit that goes with the bike ...
        And a few things .

So the axle needs the clearance is what the cable is all about ...

Bob
        1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

OOPS.

Bob,

Your signature indicates that you have a Special. You don't need the wire tool for the Special, only for the Standard.

Comment

special.... oops

I didn't see it either........

Of course if someone stuck a standard exhaust on a special or aftermarket that's in the way of the rear axle acess you're gonna be a little SOL.... The standard frame is just a tad different than the special in that the place where you hook up the cable isn't there. Doesn't mean you couldn't hook it somewhere else.
            Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
            S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
            1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

The cable thing is a PITA to use. I disconnect the shocks to get the tire/wheel off. Then you hafta hinge the rear section of the fender so the wheel will clear is you have it on the centerstand. I usually put a 2x4 under the center stand and heft (and I do mean heft) it up. Now, in my case, pull the factory bags off. Not real tuff, just takes time. But, as mentioned, if you have a Special with the stock pipes, everything clears just fine.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

with the special, you only need to put it on it's center stand and remove the axle. There shouldn't be anything in the way unless you do not have a stock exhaust.
                Yamaniac
                '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

It shows a wire to hang the caliper in the supplement to the special. Was not clear to me what the wire was all about .From looking in the manual main section , then supplement.
                  Its a special with non stock exaughst ...
                  thanks for the volley of info ....Should be as easy as falling off an XS

I'd like to rebadge and paint stock , plus get the tools .Shave an original seat ...

Bob

Comment

[From the pictures, you won't get the axle out without a tool or without removing the bottom bolts from the rear shocks. PS, use a bottle jack or a scissor jack to make the job easier.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I don't know what all the hubbub about the cable is about. I had one and was going to make a second one so that I could have one when I was away. I found a NOS one on ebay a few months ago REALLY cheap. I just put new tires on my 80G and it was very simple and easy to use. Just set the left base under the left shock and put the hooks on the frame. Then put the joiner link in the groove on the yammy tool and use simple leverage to compress the suspension. Whats hard about that? It is more difficult to unlatch the rear fender.
                      John, thats the first time I have had tire work done at The Motorcycle Shop. Wow, they charge reasonable prices and my wheels were balanced properly. Most other shops that I called wanted $35 to mount and balance each tire even if I brought in the wheels. I dropped my wheels off and he was done in less than 30 min. Nice guy.
                      Last edited by HobbyMan; 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM.
                      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Andrew

I try to all my bike business with TMS. He does have good shop rates, and will generally be able to get most anything. He is the guy that gave me the 6 oil filters that I had here last month, on consignment. I try to send anybody that needs bike work done to his shop.

Comment

Muffs are in the way

Hi Bob,
                          Clymer's ain't helpful, it tells you how to use the wire thing but not why. Thing is, the only XS11 I'd seen is the Special I'd just bought and could see no reason to reef the swingarm about to remove the rear wheel, something weird about the shaft drive? Who knows? Then I found out, Standard muffs are too long and are placed so the axle won't come out. And some genius has grafted long muffs on your Special. There any chance those orphans will bolt off?
                          BTW do you have a seat for that bike?
                          I have a truly hideous looking King/Queen/Hiback seat in good condition that'd match your sissybar a treat. Yours for postage from Saskatoon.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Fred ,
                            I have a king queen seat I think will fit, If it doesnt I'll pm you...
                            Thanks for the offer ....

I want to remove the wheel to get at the shaft to grease it , I see the fitting , but read the tech tip that it does not grease where you need it .

Was wondering what the whole wire thing was all about , but not a big deal ...Will take a crack at it this afternoon ....

The pipes say winner or winning on a mount tab , found nothing else to id them yet. will chat with po who bought it new .

Thanks all for the experiance you all share !!

Bob

Comment

Pipe seperates

The pipe seperates , in fact I took it for a test ride and it fell off in the road
                              The rear bracket was weak and let go ...Will make another ...

Its not running quite right yet .
                              #1 rich #2,3and 4 cyl seem a tad lean ...
                              But I did take it for about 15 miles !!!!!!!!!!!
                              Will see what the float leval looks like . I put the idle mix screws out 2 turns...And did the trans fluid sync . with the tubing ....
                              Still at it ...
                              Of cource the pipe falling off did not help ....
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X