X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heavy duty front fork springs

I bought these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...7402&rd=1&rd=1

Who has a clue how much oil has to go with these?
    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Will verify when I get home, but...

I think its 270cc of 10w fork oil per fork. I will verify tonight, and get back to you. Its the same amount as the regular spring, but the HD springs give more resistance, especially if you have bags, or a fairing on the front.

greg
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

There are two measurements in the XJ fork spec, don't know if the XS forks are the same:

Fork oil is given in volume or by checking the level of oil in the tubes. The later is the way Progressive did the fork oil in my XJ when I had Progressive variable-rate fork springs installed. Guy who did the work said it was more accurate as it takes into account fork wear and any fork oil that may not have drained completely. Don't know if that is true, but Progressive had a tool that looked like a mm scale with a sliding stop block that could be set for different depths. They set the scale for the XJ spec and put in oil until the fluid hit the bottom of the scale, kind of like a dip stick. They used this on all the fork spring installs they did, as long as there was a spec for oil level and not just volume.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I am sure you know this, but those are progressive springs
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yes, the XJ came with progressive springs, as you can see by the spec sheet. However, after nearly 20 years of use (new springs installed in 2001) they were sagging and were quite a bit off spec. Plus, I am a heavy guy (260 lbs) and added the Vetter Windjammer fairing. Just though it was time for new springs.....

After the old springs were out and before the new springs went in I was able to compare them side-by-side, and also do a by-hand compression test. Those old springs were in sad shape. Granted, they could get a boost when using air pressure in the forks, and with the Progressive-brand springs I no longer use any air pressure in the forks, but still......

Anyway, I was able to watch the install and talk to the guys about the tools they used, including the fluid level guage. Seems to me this is a good way to go when replacing fork oil, which in this case was Progressive 10wt stuff.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Re: Will verify when I get home, but...

Originally posted by skippy344
            I think its 270cc of 10w fork oil per fork. I will verify tonight, and get back to you. Its the same amount as the regular spring, but the HD springs give more resistance, especially if you have bags, or a fairing on the front.

greg
            210 cc per fork leg. That is stock and that is also what I have filled it up with now. Let's find out.
            XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
            MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
            Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
            Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
            Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
            Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Working...
            X