XS 275 single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 275 single

Pretty happy that my initial problems were simply fixed after my last post about the vacuum advance 'chattering' - see Idle Chattering MkII below somewhere. Thanks to advice (and encouragement) from Brian and Mike Hart.

I now have kicked myself long and hard for being a bit on the 'forgetful' side in putting things back together.

On Sunday morning I had the chance to change the hoses over (‘octopus fuel taps vacuum supply swap with vac advance hose) and one problem was fixed – but I still seem to have a few reluctant cylinders. This time it was a case of running an XS 275 single as only number 4 cylinder really wanted to fire. A few months ago – the last time I had some clear time in the garage to look at the bike - I had a twin 550 – so things aren’t too good and getting worse!

Not a lot of time again, but I took plugs 1 and 2 out, which were wet with fuel and sparking (although No 1 much more readily than 2). The puzzle from before was that the two cylinders not too happy were 1 and 2 – so the old fault diagnostics for a dead coil, where one feeds cylinders 1+4 and the other 3+2 didn’t apply this time. I suppose I should move the plug lead of the working cylinder across to No. 1 and see if that changes anything - maybe isolating whether it's a fuel or electrical problem.

As my time ran out in the garage yesterday I took out the carbs, and - yes, I agree with Mike Hart in his excellent thread on fuel supply changes, air filters and carb set up – what a pain this standard airbox is. I will play with all of that at a later date when I can get the damn thing running reasonably OK to begin with.

Any thoughts from folks who have had a similar problem to chase would be appreciated. One apprehension I have is that someone once told me that this sort of thing can happen when the electronic ignition ‘black box’ is on it’s way out. I really hope it’s not something like that!

I’ll post up any discoveries after I get the chance to look at the carbs.
    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
    Guzzi 850
    Z1000

i had some weird #1 and #2 plug fouling. It went away when i clipped the spark plug wires a bit and installed new NGK plug boots. If you have a DVOM measure the resistance of your plug caps. if they are more than 3-4 years old just get yourself a new set.
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Success!

Had some time to mess around with the XS and finally got it running on all four now

Took the carbs off the other day and had a look today. They looked fine, clean, even height floats, no blocked jets - so didn't waste too much time and bunged them back together and on the bike.

Couldn't face the airbox this time so I put them on without it while I saw what I needed to do just to get it running. Connected the taps up direct to the two carb inputs and used the reserve position to feed the carbs.

First go - no dice, the same one cylinder was firing, No. 4.

I swapped plugs 1 and 4 and first had no luck as things were the same, then finally got number one cutting in now and again. After a bit more playing around and revving, cylinder one cut in properly followed by 3 and 4!

So now it's running, probably very lean without the box and standard jets, but seems to be behaving. Of course, how will things turn out when I try and re-fit the airbox?

Now very tempted to go the 'separate airfilter' way and try and simplify the fuel/air hoses. Have to make sure the engine keeps running reliably - first time in lots of years! That means once the engines sorted stuff like the brakes will need some tlc to make sure it'll stop OK once I get the chance to ride anywhere
      Guzzi 850
      Z1000

Comment

Hi

If you've still got the problems, send me an email (mike@xs1100.co.uk) and I can help with a bit of part substitution to sort it out before you spend more pennies. I'm just up the road from you (Stonehenge) so I can easily help one day when it's too crappy to ride
        Keep Revving
        Mike F
        Mike Farnworth
        XS1100 E & XS1100 Sport Project

Comment

Keep on running

Mike,

Thank for the offer - think the 1.1S is running again now - although hadlittle further time to tinker with it.

Airbox is all back together and on and went for a spin on the bike briefly which - after a mile or two - seemed to smooth out and run fine.

Job 2 is a fork seal replacement - deep joy.

Have to meet up one of these days anyway as us UK XS riders seem thin on the ground these days
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

Working...
          X