Mac 4-1 Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac 4-1 Observations

I've just spent the last 2 hours reading over a lot of information about 4-1 exhausts, mac vs jardine, 4-1 vs 4-2, etc.

I'm at the point where I'm trying to make my bike look better and I've been considering exhaust options again.

A few years ago I got a used 4-1 mac system. It was rusty when I got it. The rust is on the headers closest to the engine and on the top sides of the pipes underneath and near the collector.

The pipes are also a bit discolored - blue/gold.

So.... I can paint the pipes I have or I could get a new set of 4-1 pipes. Since I'm not really into the black headers look, purchasing a new set is tempting.

However, I've read that others have seen similar problems on their mac 4-1 systems:
    - It seems that discoloration on these systems can't really be prevented due to the way the walls are constructed.
    - Also, it seems others have experienced rust problems in the same areas on the headers and near the collector.
    - Finally, it seems the final baffle and/or baffles rattle due to construction design where the baffle is secured only on one side with one screw.

I might be tempted to go with another mac 4-1 if I knew these problems weren't common to the majority of other mac 4-1 systems.

So, have any of you with the same system seen these same problems on yours?

It seems as though the choices are:
    - used OEM, which are mostly crapped out by now
    - mac new
    - jardine new
    - motad

All seem to be getting more expensive over time. Since I'm going for look, crappy rusted out systems aren't for me, unless I decide to paint.

Mac systems seem to be the least expensive right now, but seem to be around $330 shipped. It would be a waste to get another mac and have it quickly blue, rust, and rattle.

I like the looks of the jardine as far as how the muffler looks and how nice the chrome looks. But they seem way too pricey and the look to be cramped as far as bike access.

Any comments are appreciated.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...nside+of+pipes

no problems with rattling on mine, i think keeping it clean helps with the rust and paint the insides it works

thousand miles no blue, just a little golding
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

The x-pipe is an option but I don't think anyone here has one -

x-pipe web site

x pipe thread

While we are on the subject, here is a used supertrapp 4 into 1 on ebay -
      supertrapp on ebay

Andy

Comment

pipes

Mac 4 into one on mine, no rattle. started to blue because I hadn't tuned. Fixed the carbs and blueing stopped. Also I ceramic coated the insides but was so out of tune small blue spots still got through in two header pipes.

Casey
        1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
        "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

Hey Mason, looking good!

ae7f, I have had mac 4-1's for several years now and they are just starting to show alittle rust head the head. As far as the baffle rattle, what I did was take it out and expand the front ring flange just alittle bit so that it would be a tight fit. I had to tap it in for the last inch or so with a rubber hammer and then I put the screw back in. Rattle is gone.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Isn't "several years" far too soon for a chrome exhaust to start rusting? That's something that would prevent me from throwing down the cash for a new set right away ... that is if they rust so easily.

Ben

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

have you checked with Jet-Hot or another ceramic type coating? I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere recently that to have your whole exhaust coated would be somewhere 185-200. Is it a new exhaust, no. but it would take car of the looks dept.
              Yamaniac
              '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
              '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
              '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
              '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
              '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

I have 2 different Jardine 4-1's. The older one works fine. The newer one has had issues with rattling. In fact the outlet cone needed a couple of pop-rivits to keep it from falling out(!)
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yeah, the ceramic coating idea is functional but I do like as much shine on this bike as possible.

Sounds to me like a guy could expect at worst to buy a new exhaust every several years due to rust and discoloration?

Also, I like the 4-2 pipes as well, but I don't like the turnout look.

Ben

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Isn't "several years" far too soon for a chrome exhaust to start rusting?

NOPE!

Not if you live on the Eastern seaboard!

Comment

Originally posted by ae7f
                      Isn't "several years" far too soon for a chrome exhaust to start rusting? That's something that would prevent me from throwing down the cash for a new set right away ... that is if they rust so easily.

Ben
                      I've had them since 1999. I had jardine 4-2's before that and they didnt last any longer. Dont get me wrong, there is not enough rust or deterioration to make me even think of changing them yet.
                      Mike Giroir
                      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                      X