No announcement yet.

turn signal help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i ever get a dry minute(it rains in tx) i'm on it. i hate wiring. what's the deal with the wiring under the license plate?
    79 xs1100F
    75K and counting...
    76k...
    79k...
    80k...
    86k...

Comment

Don't worry too much about the wires behind the plate. You will need to look at the ground wire, goes from the turn signal stalk to a bullet connector, and the power, from the middle of the stalk to another bullet connector. The black is the ground, and may be going from a flat "washer" type setup that is bolted on with the nut holding the stalk on, to a ground someplace else on the frame. I would start with swapping the light bulbs from the rear turn signals, quick and easy. if the left still does not work, you know it's NOT the bulb. If you remove the seat, you will see a bundle of wires just in front of the Ignition box. Look for the wire colors from each turn signal, and swap them in the bundle to see if the left and right signals work. if the left now works, the problem is farther up the wire harness. I don't think this will be the case. If the right does NOT flash, and the left now works, except the right rear is flashing, the problem is between the wire bundle and the turn signal stalk. You have only two wires to look at, the ground and the power. If you have a wire with a clip on each end, you can clip one side to the frame, and the other to the turn signal stalk. if the light now flashes, you have a problem with the ground wire. If it still won't work, check the power lead.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Sorry, Ray.

He does need to worry about the wires behind the plate. That ground lug at the base of the signal stalk leads into that nether region behind the plate where it connects to a spade lug on the fender. It is a very poor design. I have run a separate ground lead from there to the frame ground near the battery.

Comment

quick recap-right signals work fine, lefts don't flash or light up at all. left indicator on dash stays on when lefts are turned on. here's what i've done so far; front ground cleaned and elec-greased(thx fred), cleaned all grounds under seat. even switched L and R ground bullet connectors back there, problem still same. however, when i switched the hot lead connectors from left to right, both sides failed. could it be just a failed signal assembly? on a side note, i inspected the spaghetti behind the plate and found 2 empty bullet connectors. i was thinking about relocating the signals back there anyway, is that what they're for? you guys rock.
          79 xs1100F
          75K and counting...
          76k...
          79k...
          80k...
          86k...

Comment

bueller?.....

bueller?.....i'm stuck in electrical limbo
            79 xs1100F
            75K and counting...
            76k...
            79k...
            80k...
            86k...

Comment

it also sounds like a bulb grounding problem.
              82 XJ1100 Maxim
              80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
              Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
              black on black

Comment

bulb grounding problem

did you check out the condition of the bulb socket.
                have found a few that have been severely corroded

multi-meter should find your problem in short order

mro

Comment

multi meter-huh?! yes its true, i don't have one, nor would i know what i was doing if i did. the bulb socket does look a bit corroded, tho. the ground doesn't appear to be the issue, since i switched grounds with the right signal w/ no benefit. switching the hot leads, however, left me with no signals at all. any clues? thx all.
                  79 xs1100F
                  75K and counting...
                  76k...
                  79k...
                  80k...
                  86k...

Comment

Originally posted by portero72
                    ...switching the hot leads, however, left me with no signals at all. any clues? thx all.
                    beginning to sound like two seperate issues causing failure. when you swapped hot - this was for the rear lights only? and at the rear connector?
                    a) first swap hot leads on front lights, if right signals stop working, fix problem in left front lights then continue
                    b) swap hot leads on rear lights. if right stops working AND left now works, fix rear left bulb socket and/or bulb. if right still works AND left does not work, fix left rear hot lead.

Comment

good point, thx. all i did was swap hot leads in the back, and lost ALL signals. will have to try fronts a bit later.
                      79 xs1100F
                      75K and counting...
                      76k...
                      79k...
                      80k...
                      86k...

Comment

multi meter-huh?!

Can get em as cheep as 10, 12 bucks
                        Come with instructions.
                        Can check "continuity", voltage, both AC/DC, OHMs etc..

in your situation.
                        continuity feature can check if things are connected (like grounds).
                        Voltage will show if a lead has power and how much.

mro

Comment

Get the meter, even a cheap one. You really can't get an understanding of what your problem is if you don't know what your voltages are. If you ever run up on a TCI problem, you're lost without it.

And the continuity checks, great for unraveling PO messes.
                          Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                          78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                          02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

I'm Baaaack!

Originally posted by portero72
                            multi meter-huh?! yes its true, i don't have one, nor would i know what i was doing if i did. the bulb socket does look a bit corroded, tho. the ground doesn't appear to be the issue, since i switched grounds with the right signal w/ no benefit. switching the hot leads, however, left me with no signals at all. any clues? thx all.

Poor, poor, Portero!

The Bulb Socket IS the link TO the ground!!! The positive leads are the 2 dot contacts on the bottom of the front bulb for a Standard, or the single contact in the middle of the bottom of the bulb for Specials and the Rear signals, BUT the socket IS the ground that connects the bulb casing to the socket, to that little wire strap that is connected to the turn signal housing, that is connected to the ground wire! WITH CORROSION on the socket, the current can't get to the GROUND! CLEAN the socket, unscrew that little wire, clean the screw, contacts, and you'll probably get your signals back!

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: I'm Baaaack!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

Poor, poor, Portero!

The Bulb Socket IS the link TO the ground!!! The positive leads are the 2 dot contacts on the bottom of the front bulb for a Standard, or the single contact in the middle of the bottom of the bulb for Specials and the Rear signals, BUT the socket IS the ground that connects the bulb casing to the socket, to that little wire strap that is connected to the turn signal housing, that is connected to the ground wire! WITH CORROSION on the socket, the current can't get to the GROUND! CLEAN the socket, unscrew that little wire, clean the screw, contacts, and you'll probably get your signals back!

T.C.

WHOOOOHOOO!!!!
                              i'm on it...as soon as work lets me. gosh darn, TC, your advice makes sense to me. thx again for all the help.
                              79 xs1100F
                              75K and counting...
                              76k...
                              79k...
                              80k...
                              86k...

Comment

Master

That's why he is the master GURU. Let the fun begin!
                                wingnut
                                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                                81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                                81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                                82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                                81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X