1980 xs1100sg carbs overflowing when running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 xs1100sg carbs overflowing when running

sorry to cover old ground, my bike was running fine around the end of january, I went to try and start/ride it and my carbs started puking gas out the airbox side. I pulled them cleaned the float bowl, needle and seat. Tried it, it did it again, pulled the carbs again, replaced the o-rings on the seats just now got the carbs back on and tried it again. Still puking gas out on the airbox side. Ideas? Comments? Please!!!! lol thanks for help.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

flooding carbs

couple of things to try frist make sure your two vent hoses arent plug upp with junk second you might want to double check your float levels on the carbs also make sure none of your needles are cock side ways hope this helps
    4/78 xs1100 standard
    Pacifico fairing 4 into one exhaust

new name :black Knight

I am but a student in this world of xsive masters

Comment

Pull the carbs again, and check the needles and seats one more time. Also check to see that the floats move freely and don't bump into the sides of the bowls.

Also check the o-rings on the pressed-in needle valve seats. If you've missed one, or if one got damaged, it will leak fuel past the needle and seat even when the needle is solidly in the seat.

Test it all before you reinstall the carbs by hooking up to a temporary fuel supply.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it guys. I'll get on all that tomorrow. Vehicles get frustrating for me about the 3rd time i have to take em apart so I need a break. That and it's ten at night, and we got snow and sleet yesterday. Once decent riding weather hits I'll be in more of a hurry to get her goin. Thanks again for the tips.
        1980 XS11SG

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick
          Thanks, I appreciate it guys. I'll get on all that tomorrow. Vehicles get frustrating for me about the 3rd time i have to take em apart so I need a break. That and it's ten at night, and we got snow and sleet yesterday. Once decent riding weather hits I'll be in more of a hurry to get her goin. Thanks again for the tips.
          break? theres no real break in life you think there is but its only a slow down with it
          its all a game too me i cant even get my midnight too even turn over, after a working on it for the past two weeks , but thats wahts it all about with very little choice in it, its all or nothing mind game.. LOL!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by midnight1980
            [B]

dont hurry too much! because then the game gets borring..

Comment

Check your petcocks too, Mine went bad on my xs750 and did the same thing.
              "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Fix the problem

Petcocks are redundant. If the float levels are not correct because of maladjustment or crud causing them to stick or bad parts the crab is going to overflow into the air box. If you mask this problem by turning the fuel off at the petcocks (and they work) the fuel valves are still leaking during engine operation. Its going to run rich and you will spend time trying to adjust out a problem that you can’t adjust out. Save your self some time, fix the needle valves. If the carbs and the floats are right you don’t even need petcocks. Just my humble opinion
                wingnut
                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"Language!!!"

His fuel taps on the tank are fine(I will not type the term "petcock" to a guy who's name is Bigdick... I just won't)They operate when the bike is running, and he makes no mention of flooding when the engine is off.
                  Flooding, as already mentioned... either the vent tubes are plugged, the floats are sticking, or the needles aren't sealing. Clean the seats with Qtips and chrome polish(remove them first to take off the mesh screen on the underside) Get new needles.
                  Again, as mentioned, check float level and ensure they don't stick.
                  As Ken stated, always bench test first. Flip them upside down, and with the bowls off, see if they still leak, and from where.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

From painful experience make sure you don't have a leaky float. Too much time wasted in clever carb cleaning, my neighbor picked up the float and asked me if there is supposed be something sloshing around inside. So don't forget to check that.
                    Last edited by jeffe; 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM.
                    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

His fuel taps on the tank are fine(I will not type the term "petcock" to a guy who's name is Bigdick... I just won't)
                      rofl, doesn't refer to that at all! My son's name is Richard Jr. (Little Dick and Big Dick)
                      1980 XS11SG

Comment

I pity your lad

LITTLE DICK

I bet he loves you calling him that in front of his buddies

BTW check out this
                        Tom
                        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

heh, he just turned 6 so it'll be a while before i humiliate him that way
                          1980 XS11SG

Comment

Working...
                          X